Reports not Printing

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
HereInOz

Reports not Printing

Post by HereInOz »

Hi All,

I have looked around for a solution to this and up to now I have not been successful. I am running Ubuntu 7.10 (upgrade from 7.04) and I have just tried to print a report from an Open Office database, and it will not print to any of my printers.

The application will go through the motions of printing, opening up the printer dialog box, allowing me to select a printer - all that sort of thing, but when I click "OK", absolutely nothing happens, not even the progress indicator in the task bar, and nothing in the print queue.

This used to work OK in 7.04, so I am wondering if there is a bug introduced into this version.

I can print the report to a PDF, and then print out the PDF, so I have a work around, but it would be wonderful if someone has a solution for this.

Other Open Office applications are fine - I can print from the Word Processor and Spreadsheet, but printing a report from the database just won't happen.

Has anyone had this problem and sorted out a solution? I have tried the Ubuntu forums with no success.

Hope you can help.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: Reports not Printing

Post by DrewJensen »

Yes that is a pain in the rump is it not...

That is a bug interjected into the 2.3 release. Believe to be fixed in the 2.3.1 bug fix ( one would hope so anyway )

For today you have to fist save the report to a file...any file name will do, close it, reopen it...prints fine...

By the way the 2.3.1 RC1 was released a few days ago, not sure how long we are going to have to wait for the Kubuntu folks to get it ready for an apt install after the final release - the DEB files for the RC1 are available on the main web site as of now. But I have not tested this particular bug so can't tell you for sure it is worth the download.

Drew
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
HereInOz

Post by HereInOz »

Thanks Drew,

At least it is a bug which is known about and is hopefully being fixed. Many thanks for your response. I shall now go back to the Ubuntu forums and reply to my own post there so that people who search and find my post will know what is going on.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Alan.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi HereInOz, could you confirm if that bug has been fixed ?
If you want to test the latest release (2.3.1) on your Kubuntu, you can check here : [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
breusshe

Post by breusshe »

I'm running the Ubuntu release of OO 2.3.1. The bug still exists (sort of) as of 01/11/08. It prints, but you have to go into a Print Preview first. Print Preview does not look right. What you see is your data fields with the correct information in them; however, they are not formated at all. They just use the default font formatting your system is using. Right next to this unformatted display is a blue border around a correctly formatted version of the report page. When you print, all you get is the unformatted version. The formatted one never prints out and in the printing properties the total number of pages possible to print is the total for the report (one page, in my case).

In short, I had to do the same as the original poster; export to PDF then print the PDF.

If anyone needs examples of what I'm seeing, I can do a screenshot and either post it or email it to someone that can fix it.

Thanks!
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

breusshe wrote:I'm running the Ubuntu release of OO 2.3.1.
Are you sure ? Gutsy (7.10) runs 2.3.0. You may try the official [really last] version : [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.
breusshe

Post by breusshe »

I'm 80% certain. I don't have my system in front of me right now, however, I do remember a series of updates for OO and I recall a "RC1" in the description. I'll take another look and either eat my shorts or take note of the version.

Either way, I'll let you know later on today.
breusshe

Post by breusshe »

My shorts don't taste all that bad with a little salt...
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

:lol:

Let us know if you give the official version a try.
breusshe

Post by breusshe »

I followed the link you provided for OO DEB packages. The instructions on that page are for Debian installs and state that there will be a DEBS folder with all the install packages. However, the download page those instructions send you to only has an RPM build for Linux.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Click the small link (with DEB) below the main one.
OOo download page.png
OOo download page.png (3.6 KiB) Viewed 8811 times
Or on a mirror, select an archive with the deb tag in the filename.
Mirror page.png
Mirror page.png (10.59 KiB) Viewed 8811 times
breusshe

Post by breusshe »

Ok, printing works with version 2.3.1-9. However, print preview is still messed up. It is showing two versions of the report, one on top of the other. It prints fine, just looks all kinds of weird on the screen. If you open a report in Print Preview and zoom to 50% with a portrait orientation (assuming the report is 8.5 x 11), you'll see the rogue version sticking out the left side of the correct one. By correct one, I refer to the version with the bright blue border around it. As you change the zoom level, how the rogue version display changes. However, all of this is easy enough to see. Well, at least I can print now without having to first export my report to a PDF.

Thanks!