[Solved] Junkware

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Helmut

[Solved] Junkware

Post by Helmut »

Solved

Hi,
My G-data (my Antivirus software) has reported as follows::

Junkware (PUP): Win32.Adware.Narn.D (Engine B)
Datei: Updater.exe
Verzeichnis: C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice Updater

What doe this mean ?
Helmut

I use Windows 7 and Open Office 4.1.4
Last edited by Helmut on Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Open Office 4.1.4
Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Junkware

Post by RoryOF »

This is most probably a "false positive", which often happens with new versions of a program. I suggest you try another antivirus; Trend do a remote scan of your computer - follow their Housecall link. In the past I have found this helpful.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Can anybody confirm that the directory C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice Updater exists? I don't have AOO on Windows right now.

Helmut, where did you download the program? Did you download from the original home page https://openoffice.org/ This page redirects to sourceforge.net where the package is actually hosted.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Villeroy wrote:Can anybody confirm that the directory C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice Updater exists?
It does not appear on W7 with AOO 4.1.4 (and nor 4.1.3). C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice has a folder \4. C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4 has a folder \user. C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user has the profile folders shown below. Neither C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\ nor C:\Users\xxx\AppData\LocalLow\ have any AOO folders.

Also when I search the PC with updater it does not find any folder called updater.
Attachments
The AOO 4.1.4 profile folders
The AOO 4.1.4 profile folders
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

A thought. Does the folder get created during the installation, and then get deleted? There is no folder called updater in the OpenOffice 4.1.3 (en-GB) Installation Files or OpenOffice 4.1.4 (en-GB) Installation Files folders.

As for the original question - it will be a false positive if the software has been downloaded from the openoffice.org website and it can safely be ignored.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Just checked my system with 4.1.4 installed (I know, I need to update my signature), and didn't find the directory.
Then I performed a monitored installation, per John_Ha's suggestion that it might be a directory made during installation, but did not notice this happening during the installation process.
I suspect, like has already been mentioned, that this is a false positive, due to the newer version of Open Office and/or the anti-virus being out of date.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have drawn attention of the OO Dev list to this report, just in case.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

This may be an independent updater from openoffice-updater.de, not part of Apache OpenOffice. Try a Google search for "roaming\openoffice updater" for more information.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Helmut

Post by Helmut »

John_Ha wrote:
Villeroy wrote:Can anybody confirm that the directory C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice Updater exists?
It does not appear on W7 with AOO 4.1.4 (and nor 4.1.3). C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice has a folder \4. C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4 has a folder \user. C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user has the profile folders shown below. Neither C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\ nor C:\Users\xxx\AppData\LocalLow\ have any AOO folders.

Also when I search the PC with updater it does not find any folder called updater.
Last edited by Helmut on Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.4
Windows 7
Helmut

Post by Helmut »

Villeroy wrote:Can anybody confirm that the directory C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice Updater exists? I don't have AOO on Windows right now.

Helmut, where did you download the program? Did you download from the original home page https://openoffice.org/ This page redirects to sourceforge.net where the package is actually hosted.
I'm not sure where I downloaded it from, but I normally download programs from the original home page
Open Office 4.1.4
Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Aunt Google tells me that the directory belongs to http://www.openoffice-updater.de/ which installs a separate program. It might be junkware indeed.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

One of the developers has replied to me as follows
quote] This directory is *not* created by our official build but by a
> repackaged installation from openoffice.de.
>
> We already had some users reporting virus warnings (Kaspersky) when
> installing this "false" package.[/quote]

As Villeroy has also pointed out, this package does not originate from
http://www.openoffice.org/download
which is the only site through which we recommend downloading.
Helmut

Post by Helmut »

RoryOF wrote:As Villeroy has also pointed out, this package does not originate from
http://www.openoffice.org/download
which is the only site through which we recommend downloading.
Thanks to all. I have uninstalled my Open Office and installed it from the link above. Let's see what happens.
Helmut
Open Office 4.1.4
Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

However, you should also uninstall the "OpenOffice Updater". Technically this package has nothing to do with OpenOffice.
Helmut

Post by Helmut »

Villeroy wrote:However, you should also uninstall the "OpenOffice Updater". Technically this package has nothing to do with OpenOffice.
Done, thanks
Helmut
Open Office 4.1.4
Windows 7
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

A small point, not directly related, but you should update your forum signature, as it currently reads Open Office 4.4, yet the latest version is OpenOffice 4.1.4
Having an accurate forum signature will make things easier as you won't get solutions for problems that work in the version you indicate in your signature, but might not work in the version you are actually using.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.