[Solved] Recover corrupted odb-file

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
joepiec

[Solved] Recover corrupted odb-file

Post by joepiec »

After a sudden crash while scrolling through a table, my odb-database is corrupted. When the file is opened, the filter selection window appears. Open office crashes as soon as I try to open the table overview or any form or query.
I have found these two recovery software products, Kernel for Base and SysInfoTools Base Repair, which claim to recover my database (I have run the free trial versions of both). However, I have read several posts on this forum stating that none of these tools could solve the problem for corrupted write or calc-files. Is it still worth a try, or a waste of money? Alternatively, is there anybody with a licensed version of these tools who would be willing to run them on my corrupted database?
Thanks!
Last edited by joepiec on Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Open Office 4.1.4 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Recover corrupted odb-file with Kernel/SysInfo for Base

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the (probably wrong) forum.

See the Base forum and also see [Tutorial] Recovering a damaged odb file.

This may also be of limited assistance - [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
joepiec

Re: Recover corrupted odb-file with Kernel/SysInfo for Base

Post by joepiec »

Thanks for your advice, John_Ha. The method described in the tutorial did not work in my case, but through this post on the Base forum I found someone who could solve the problem for me. Sliderule is the greatest!
Open Office 4.1.4 on Windows 10
clausisme

Re: [Solved] Recover corrupted odb-file

Post by clausisme »

I have recently had this problem and found a solution I used WinRAR > Repair Archive > Treat the corrupt archive as ZIP.
The rebuilt file works fine.

Since this post was the first thing I found on google when researching the problem I hope this solution helps anyone looking.
OpenOffice 4.01 on Windows 7