[Solved] Export to PDF messing with page number positions

Discuss the word processor
Windwood

[Solved] Export to PDF messing with page number positions

Post by Windwood »

When I export my Writer document (133 page book) to .pdf, all the page numbers move to the spine side of the pages and no longer on the outside edge of the pages. :crazy: I haven't a clue what to do about this, but need to fix. Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by RoryOF on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
AOo 4.1.13
WIN 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Export to PDF messing with page number positions

Post by Zizi64 »

OOo 3.2.0
WIN 7
OOo 3.2.0 is an archaic-old version. Are you using that version now?

Please upload your ODF type sample document here with some pages (the max. size of the attachment is 128KiB in this forum).

Then we will able to examine the properties of the page styles in your document. (Change the confidential content to some dummy text)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It sounds like you are using a Left page style where you need to use a Mirrored page style.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Windwood

Post by Windwood »

I'm using OOo 4.13 and the default page style with mirrored pages.
AOo 4.1.13
WIN 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I'm using OOo 4.13 and the default page style with mirrored pages.
In this case please update your signature in this forum, and please upload a sample file here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Windwood

Post by Windwood »

I copied part of the front matter and part of the first chapter. Hope that's enough. A blank page was inserted, when I pasted into new document, which is not in the original. Images have been removed to comply with file size requirements.
Attachments
sample.odt
(23.2 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
AOo 4.1.13
WIN 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Windwood wrote:When I export my Writer document (133 page book) to .pdf, all the page numbers move to the spine side of the pages and no longer on the outside edge of the pages.
It does not happen for me - see attached PDF where the page numbers alternate sides.

Have you suppressed Print blank pages? Search Help with blank
Attachments
sample.pdf
(76.95 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I noticed one possible problem. The page number on the right page has two tabs preceding the page number. These tabs are unnecessary since the text is aligned right. Also, the tab stop set at 6.13" is outside the text area and off the page. As a result, an extra empty line is inserted in the footer above the page number. Try removing the tabs before the page number to see if that makes a difference.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Windwood

Post by Windwood »

John_Ha wrote:
Windwood wrote:When I export my Writer document (133 page book) to .pdf, all the page numbers move to the spine side of the pages and no longer on the outside edge of the pages.
It does not happen for me - see attached PDF where the page numbers alternate sides.

Have you suppressed Print blank pages? Search Help with blank
Thank you for your reply. Sorry to be so long getting back to this issue, but I've been traveling for awhile.
Anyway, as I open your pdf, it is exactly like mine.
What's actually happening here is that the spine margins have traded places with the outside edge margins, when converted to pdf, thus putting the page numbers toward the spine. I don't understand this behavior and can't find any options in pdf or OO to change it. I've heard that OO's default page numbering sequence starts with an odd page on the right, which is, I'm told, not the norm for writing books. I'm guessing the pdf conversion doesn't like this. How to change?
Suppress blank pages has been selected.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
AOo 4.1.13
WIN 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Un-suppress Blank pages and try again.
 Edit: Also, in Export as PDF on General tab, check "Export automatically inserted blank pages". I've just checked with a 210 page file and all is good. Page numbers are to the outside of the pages and are correct. All odd pages are right pages, even pages are left pages. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Windwood

Post by Windwood »

RoryOF wrote:Un-suppress Blank pages and try again.
I've done it both ways a number of times. Same result.
AOo 4.1.13
WIN 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Both Print blank pages in OO and "Export blank pages" in Export as PDF must be set.
Windwood

Post by Windwood »

RoryOF wrote:Both Print blank pages in OO and "Export blank pages" in Export as PDF must be set.
OK. Will double check and do it one more time and see. I'll get back to you and thanks.
AOo 4.1.13
WIN 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As I say, I've just checked with a 210 page document (in progress) and all is correct.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Please try the following check, to ensure that there is no error in the .odt document.

Select book display in the bottom right corner of OO (the rightmost of the three page view icons). Right click on the % box at extreme right of that line and select "page width". Your display should now show a book opening. On the navigator, (F5 to start it, if not started), right click on headings and select Outline Level 1 (probably); Navigator should now give you merely a list of Chapters. Double click each chapter number in turn, and verify that your chapter page falls on the right. Inserted blank pages should show on the left with a grey "blank page"(non printing) message.

If this test is OK, it suggests your .odt file is correct and we should look at Export to PDF settings.
Windwood

Post by Windwood »

Thank you. You were right. I did not have it checked off in OO. That problem resolved and I appreciate it. Been nagging at me for a long time. Now we have an Index issue, which I will post in a separate post. Thank you again.
AOo 4.1.13
WIN 10