ASCII Filter Options

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
johndupuis

ASCII Filter Options

Post by johndupuis »

From this question you will be able to tell I am not at all skilled in this area. I just started using OfficeWriter and every time I start up the program I get the "ASCII Filter Options" dialog box. I just click OK and them I can open or create a document. My dumb question: Is there a way to prevent the dialog box from starting up? It isn't a big problem but rather just a small aggravation that I would like to eliminate. Thanks for the help.
Open office 4.1.3 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: ASCII Filter Options

Post by RoryOF »

Does the file open correctly when it opens? What file format are you using (three letter extension to filename)?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
johndupuis

Post by johndupuis »

Yes, it opens correctly. format is .txt. Usually a document I created earlier using Notepad.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Then you get the ASCII filter options query. Best to Save As and work in OO's native format .odt; on the /File /Save as window choose ODF Text Document (.odt) from the file type dropdown. Make sure "Automatic file name extension" is checked.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
johndupuis

Post by johndupuis »

Thanks, I appreciate the help. ODF docs open with no problem. Will have to modify txt documents each time I open them. Sooner or later I will have them all converted to ODF.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

johndupuis wrote: every time I start up the program I get the "ASCII Filter Options" dialog box.
You only get this box when you open a flat, ASCII file, like a .TXT file created by Notepad.

You do not get this box when you open a correctly formatted .odt, .doc, .docx etc file. If you do get it when opening a .odt, .doc. .docx etc file, then the file is corrupted beyond repair and there is almost certainly no recoverable content in it.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.