Opening, saving, and closing files is slow

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
androphone

Re: Opening, saving, and closing files is slow

Post by androphone »

Hi all,
Last year I had worked with Libre Office (writer) but he took too long to save documents specially documents with links in it and also the LO crash a few times.
So I opted for the AOO.
Until now it seemed to work ok, but I found that documents with links take too long time to save, especially when in automatic save, which prevent the computer use during lots of seconds (around a 1 min or so).
However, what I had found is that the document I was working on had images/pictures from the web within it.
I decide:
1) save the web images/pictures in a folder on my computer,
2) deleted the web images/pictures in the document and
3) insert the images/pictures that I had saved from the web.
And the slowliness to save the document disappeared and computer frozenness disappeared.
Apparently there is a problem (???) in the AOO and LO when working with links or web images/pictures (direct link to the web) inside the writer.
(Why the images not stay in computer/browser cache and been insert in the document from there????)
So if you want put image/picture from the web in your text/document (writer) I advise to save that web images/pictures on your computer and insert them in the writer from your computer and not directly from the web.
Apparently the links inside the document does not create slowness in saving the document but images/pictures do.
I hope this helps some of you.
Thanks,
OpenOffice 4.1.2 Lubuntu 14.04
markh1289

Post by markh1289 »

The only way I could fix the slowness was,
Edit > Links ... and break them all.

Why can't it behave like Microsoft Office Word and just paste the pictures not links?
Other methods listed in this posting are utterly impractical.
Libre Office Version: 4.2.8.2
Ubuntu 14.04
HP 550 laptop 2GB RAM
PeaceByJesus

Post by PeaceByJesus »

I find large files can be very slow to save, despite a 6-core 4.2ghz CPU and 16GB ram, but deselecting Always create backup copy under Tools -> Options>Load/Save>General helped. For those with images, increasing the Graphics Cache under Memory (under OpenOffice) to 256 (the highest it goes) may help. Also, pasting images from web content means Office retrieves the images from the Internet and slows down loading.
Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 3 3200G CPU; 64GB RAM
Grace and peace thru Jesus the Lord. peacebyjesus.net (pages created in Open office)
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer.

Also, be aware that

AOO continues to write data to the file and to the AOO profile for several seconds (many on a slow network) after the blue dotted line has finished crossing the screen. You must not shut down the PC or remove the USB stick while this writing is taking place.

Never be too hasty when shutting down your PC, or slamming the laptop lid shut, or pulling a USB memory stick out.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.