Show 0 (zero) in pivot table

Discuss the spreadsheet application
eponymous

Show 0 (zero) in pivot table

Post by eponymous »

I've got a pivot table which is using "count" to display the count of various items in a column. Where the count is 0 (zero), the table has a blank cell, instead of the number 0.

How can I change that?
OpenOffice 5.4.1.2 on Mac OS X 10.11
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Show 0 (zero) in pivot table

Post by Zizi64 »

The function COUNT() and COUNTA() will count the non empty cells. Type-in zeros into cells if you want to count them (if you want to add the numbers of the zeros to the result).

And there is a option named "Show zero values" in the
Tools - Options - Open/LibreOffice Calc - View menu item.
Try to check-in it, if you want show the earo values of the results of the formulas.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The numbers in the data fields show the results for combined category values in row/column fields.
If a combination of row/column values does not exist in the source table it would be wrong to show a zero. The sum/count/whatever is not zero when it is missing.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
eponymous

Post by eponymous »

Villeroy wrote:The numbers in the data fields show the results for combined category values in row/column fields.
If a combination of row/column values does not exist in the source table it would be wrong to show a zero. The sum/count/whatever is not zero when it is missing.
Actually that is precisely the definition of zero when counting. I can understand why in some cases a blank cell might be useful, but I want 0 when the count is 0. Note that Excel has this via a pivot table preference for "Empty cells as…" (see image). Frankly I don't quite understand why the default isn't 0, but at least there's the option.

As a practical example (and the precise case I'm using it for), if you're keeping track of box scores in softball games and you have a column for outcome with values of "W", "L" and "T" (ties are allowed), you can use a pivot table to create the standings. In this case, if a team has all "W", you want the table to read 0 under "L" and "T". And that's the logical behavior. What's the count of "L" for that team? It's not undefined; it's zero.
Attachments
Screenshot 2017-10-05 10.34.09.png
eponymous

Post by eponymous »

Zizi64 wrote:The function COUNT() and COUNTA() will count the non empty cells. Type-in zeros into cells if you want to count them (if you want to add the numbers of the zeros to the result).
I understand about count and non-empty cells, but in many cases (see my reply to the other comment), you want to be able to show a zero count in a pivot table and not just have a blank cell.
Zizi64 wrote:And there is a option named "Show zero values" in the
Tools - Options - Open/LibreOffice Calc - View menu item.
Try to check-in it, if you want show the earo values of the results of the formulas.
I'm not finding this. I see "Zero values" (which I already have checked) under Preferences > LibreOffice Calc > View > Display section

Is that what you mean?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I see "Zero values" (which I already have checked) under Preferences > LibreOffice Calc > View > Display section

Is that what you mean?
Yes. I see now you are using Mac.(That op.sys has a different menu structure...)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
eponymous wrote:I've got a pivot table which is using "count" to display the count of various items in a column. Where the count is 0 (zero), the table has a blank cell, instead of the number 0.
Type 0 in some unused cell and press Enter. Edit → Cut. Select the cells in the pivot table which contain the numeric counts. Edit → Paste Special → Selection=Numbers → Options=(none) → Operations=Add → Shift=Don't → OK.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
eponymous

Post by eponymous »

MrProgrammer wrote:Hi, and welcome to the forum.
eponymous wrote:I've got a pivot table which is using "count" to display the count of various items in a column. Where the count is 0 (zero), the table has a blank cell, instead of the number 0.
Type 0 in some unused cell and press Enter. Edit → Cut. Select the cells in the pivot table which contain the numeric counts. Edit → Paste Special → Selection=Numbers → Options=(none) → Operations=Add → Shift=Don't → OK.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
That's not really a solution so much as a surrender.

I think I'll file a feature request for this.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

For the softball example, the selection of teams and outcomes would be static through the "life" of the list (a season). In this situation, a workaround may be to use COUNTIFS() within a predefined table structure, instead of building a dynamic summary as a pivot table. One advantage with formulas is that they are "live". You don't need to manually refresh. Getting the table sorted according to standing may constitute more work with that solution, though.

Is it possible to attach here a file with your source data, or if that is confidential, some dummy data with the same layout?
eponymous

Post by eponymous »

keme wrote:For the softball example, the selection of teams and outcomes would be static through the "life" of the list (a season). In this situation, a workaround may be to use COUNTIFS() within a predefined table structure, instead of building a dynamic summary as a pivot table. One advantage with formulas is that they are "live". You don't need to manually refresh. Getting the table sorted according to standing may constitute more work with that solution, though.

Is it possible to attach here a file with your source data, or if that is confidential, some dummy data with the same layout?
Here's the actual data with no team name or anything identifiable.

I get that there might be workarounds, but my broader point is that pivot tables should provide this option.
Attachments
demo.ods
(23.76 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

While I do agree that "missing=zero" should be available, and even that it be the default for counting, I think the static list is better for this particular use.
One additional advantage is that you can use the static list for input validation, which helps to avoid those leading/trailing spaces and other typos. See attached edit of your file.
Attachments
demo.ods
(18.43 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
eponymous

Post by eponymous »

I see what you mean, but I do more with the pivot table than I showed. Once the names are in there once, the typo problem goes away with autocomplete.