Date formats

Discuss the spreadsheet application
desdichato

Date formats

Post by desdichato »

Hi,
Am experiencing an annoying :alarm: thing on a spreadsheet I'm doing some work on, every time I put a date in a column it is coming out wrong as an example I did some work earlier today Wednesday October 3rd 2017 but I noticed that despite putting the correct date in the column it is coming up as Friday 10th March 2017, I have checked all my settings that I can find and they show October 3rd 2017, this is a new computer to me with win 10 :crazy:

Any thoughts?

TIA
OOo 4.1.3 on 8.1
RoryOF

Re: date formats

Post by RoryOF »

To what Locale is your OpenOffice set? You probably should use en-GB or some other European locale that reads DD/MM/YY; Today's date being read as 10 Mar 2017 suggests it is set to US locale.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

More specifically, check the various settings in Tools | Options | Language Settings | Languages.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Tools>Options>LanguageSettings>Languages>Locale
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

(The issue isn't just about date formats, but also about date recognition, and basically about the relation between both these aspects.)

To regard the global 'Language Settings' for the spreadsheet document may not be sufficient.
See attached example.

And: Never use the globally deprecated "mid-endian" date formats of 'English (USA)' locale. They are really too bad and cause misunderstandings again and again. Use ISO 8601 compliant YYYY-MM-DD for display in spreadsheets and (in text form) for international exchange. To enter dates you may use whatever your software accepts. I needn't know, and I don't mind.

(This forum's software also should,)
Attachments
aoo90628DateRecognition_1.ods
(79.34 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München