Outlook Express 6 not sending attachments

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
David Rauer

Outlook Express 6 not sending attachments

Post by David Rauer »

Welcome beginner. What is your question or comment?

I have been using Outlook Express 6 to send OO attachments for several months. Here recently, Outlook Express is hanging up when I send OO attachments. I can send other normal text only e-mails or non OO attachments but it can take up to an hour to send one 100K writer attachment. This just start the past week. I have broad band connection and using XP OS. I have ensured the sent and deleted folders are clear and the inbox has less than 200 e-mails with minimal attachments. I am using OO 2.4. Do you have any idea what would be causing this problem? :?:

Please try to briefly and clearly tell us: What you want, What you tried, and What happened.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Outlook Express 6 not sending attachments

Post by Villeroy »

Basically an ODF document is a zip-archive with ".odt" as suffix rather than ".zip". The content of the zip is a bunch of XML (tagged plain text) and possibly some graphi files in compressed jpg format. Whatever Windows, Outlook, lousy coded index tools, installed viruses, virus scanners, sanity checker, installed spyware, spyware scanners, running Windows services, tools, extensions and maintainance tools do on your system, it should be totally unrelated to this office suite or the content of any ODF document (this is my personal opinion as a Linux user who dropped all flavours of the overy complex expert system called "Windows" seven years ago)
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
David Rauer

Post by David Rauer »

Villeroy,

Are you suggesting I turn off my virus protection and spyware scanner and see if the problem still exsits?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I put my hands up when I see a Windows system. I do not suggest anything. You may try to turn it off without my personal advice. But then you should pull off the network cable, which I believe to be a reliable method to protect such a system from the outside world. This is outside my knowlege and I don't belive it has anything to do with the topic of this site.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
ccornell
Volunteer

Post by ccornell »

Outlook Express.... hmmm... a couple of guesses (since I am also someone who dumped Windows a long time ago)

Have you checked Tools > Accounts > Mail > Properties > Advanced to see if it is trying to split large files into chunks?

Was there a recent virus utility update that coincided with this new behavior?

Have you tried something like changing your virus uitils options so that is does not scan outgoing emails?

When you tested other attachments, did you test send a zip file? As Vileroy pointed out, the ODF file format is simply a zipfile containing XML and JPGs. Maybe something in your virus utils is slowing things up on ZIP files?
openSUSE 11.4, KDE4.6 with OpenOffice.org 3.3
David Rauer

Post by David Rauer »

Thanks ccornell, I will try your suggestions. Last night I down loaded Thunderbird and and same issue occurs.

Villory,

I am a bit confused by your statement ".........and I don't belive it has anything to do with the topic of this site." Should I be on a different forum? If so, please direct me to the appropiate site. I am new to this forum so forgive me if I am posting in the wrong area or forum. I am just trying to find help to solve a very frustrating issue. Thanks
ccornell
Volunteer

Post by ccornell »

I think what Villeroy was getting at is that it would appear at first glance that your problem is probably not with OOo, but more likely about a problem with the Windows OS... or something that changed at the OS level... for example something to do with virus utilities or something related to that. But... as we both said, we're guessing here (but still trying to help you pin down the problem :D ) since neither of us use Windows anymore.
openSUSE 11.4, KDE4.6 with OpenOffice.org 3.3
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

The fact that the same thing is happening in Thunderbird suggests to me that there may indeed be interference from another program. You might try watching the Task Manager to see what processes are running while you're attempting to send... maybe try sorting by CPU usage. Are you familiar with the Task Manager?
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit