Book Writing Format

Discuss the word processor
applesagan

Book Writing Format

Post by applesagan »

I am writing a book using double space format. Every time I go back and edit the change causes the whole text to revert to single space on every other line. Can I avoid this and how do I change edited version back to double space?
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Book Writing Format

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Do you save in native ODF (.odt)? Saving in another format may cause this kind of issue.
Else, do you use a specific paragraph style?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

applesagan wrote:... the change causes the whole text to revert to single space on every other line.
Line spacing is a paragraph property, so the spacing should be the same for every line in a paragraph. Have you done something to somehow make all paragraphs two lines long?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Writing (and formatting) something as long as a book, you really need to use Styles; without hands-on of your file we are working in the dark. I suggest you read Writer for students (several languages) as this may help get you on the correct track.

My experience is that it took three fairly substantial documents (circa 25,000 words each) to get fully to grips with use of Styles. Such a change does not mean you haver to abandon your existing text - there are quick ways to make it style based.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS