[Solved] Can I view a .ofx file in Open Office?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
dizzy7

[Solved] Can I view a .ofx file in Open Office?

Post by dizzy7 »

I just downloaded my transaction history from my bank as a .ofx file. I can open it in Open Office, but it's in this format:

<ACCTTYPE>CHECKING
</BANKACCTFROM>
<BANKTRANLIST>
<DTSTART>20080725
<DTEND>20080826
<STMTTRN>
<TRNTYPE>DEBIT

Is there a way for me to view a .ofx format file properly in Open Office?

I hope this isn't too dumb of a question, but I'm new to Open Office and not exactly a computer expert in general. I couldn't find any info about it in the "Help" section, and a search of this forum didn't get any relevant hits.

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by dizzy7 on Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OO 2.4.1 on Ms Windows 10
doofus

Re: Can I view a .ofx file in Open Office?

Post by doofus »

It looks like what you have there is an xml type file for financial software use, i.e. Quicken/MS Money.
It is created specifically for those types of programs.

You may be able to import it into OOo Calc using XML filtering, but I am not sure as I've never tried.

Hope that helps.
"If you're not having fun, then you are probably doing it wrong, or doing the wrong thing."
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x + windows xp
dizzy7

Post by dizzy7 »

Thanks for the help, doofus. At least now I know that there wasn't some simple and obvious way to view that type of file that I was missing. According to my bank, it is a Microsoft Money file, so that's apparently why I'm unable to view it in the correct format.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If you can download or convert it as a CSV file, you should be able to import it in Calc so that you can use the information inside.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
dizzy7

Post by dizzy7 »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:If you can download or convert it as a CSV file, you should be able to import it in Calc so that you can use the information inside.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
------------------------------------------

Hagar,
My bank does offer the option to download the data in CSV format. I did that, and it opened in Calc with no problem at all. Thanks very much for your help. I never would have thought to try that.