[Solved] Text blocks as overlay of scanned PDF

Discuss the word processor
Oldfart

[Solved] Text blocks as overlay of scanned PDF

Post by Oldfart »

SOLVED

Hello out there. 9-20-2017

I often scan in forms (such as those required by a doctor's office) - and then use a "text block" as an overlay, to fill in the form, rather than having to use a pen. I have trouble with both hands - carpal tunnel. So typing actually works much better.

With the competitor's product.. I had no trouble moving such a text block, in tiny increments - to line up the typed-in text. I don't seem to be able to do this with Writer - it only wants to move the text block by large jumps - so I can't get things lined up right. I know how to increase and decrease the 'line spacing' - by changing the font size for the spacing etc. etc. Is there a way to get this to work... I've tried using the Control, Shift, Alt and FN keys along with my arrow keys - and can't make it happen.

I can do this with other programs (micro move), such as PaintShop Pro.

Answers anyone??? Thanks so much. I really don't want to have to fill out such forms by hand.
Last edited by Oldfart on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.3 1761318
Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Text blocks as overlay of scanned PDF - how to micro-mov

Post by Zizi64 »

While reading the description of your problem, I thought you have not choosen an appropriate tool for your job. Editing a scanned (and OCR-ed?) document is not an efficient method.

But there is an extension for mini/micro move of the GRAPHICAL objects in a document:
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/mmove

Install it, and try it.
...or you can adjust the coordinates of the position of a graphical object by changing its numeric values.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Oldfart wrote:... use a "text block" ...
I assume you are talking about a Frame inserted by Insert > Frame. [Or about a "Text Box" in a form - both can be moved as below]

It is easiest to drag an object an inch or so away, and then drag it back to the exact place required, than to attempt to "nudge" it a short distance.

You can switch on a Grid and then Snap to the grid - see Tools > Options ...

If you set the background colour of the Frame or Text Box to be white, instead of No fill ..., and make the Frame or Text Box slightly larger, you don't have to align it that well as it will obscure everything behind it. :super:

If you right-click the Frame > Frame > Type ..., you get options to anchor and locate the object.
Clipboard01.png
If it is a Text Box then right-click it > Position and size > Position and size ...
text box.png
If this solves the problem, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Oldfart

Post by Oldfart »

Dear Tibor:

Thank you very much Tibor!! I did download and install that extension as well.
I should have automatically "known" to go into the text block adjustments inside the program - I apologize for that. I am accustomed to doing that regarding drawing objects and was forgetting. My age I suppose. Will give both a whirl.

I appreciate your prompt answer and believe this should resolve the difficulties. I am an older person working within the confines of limited finances. I also keep trying to get the OCR software to work that came with my B&W printer, but can't get that happening either. (not your problem)

My best. I love the AOO softwares and did make a small donation. I so appreciate being able to have and use these softwares.
Open Office 4.1.3 1761318
Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: SOLVED Text blocks as overlay of scanned PDF

Post by John_Ha »

Oldfart wrote:I also keep trying to get the OCR software to work that came with my B&W printer, but can't get that happening either. (not your problem)
See Top 5 best OCR software for paid, and 8 best OCR software for Windows 10 for free and paid. My ScanSoft OmniPage SE OCR software from Canon is very good.

Also, be sure that you scan in greyscale (not mono) at a high enough resolution - say 150 dpi or more - to get a suitable image. It sometimes helps to process the image with something like IrfanView to set the background to white and to increase the gamma so as to highlight the text better.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
musikai
Volunteer

Re: SOLVED Text blocks as overlay of scanned PDF

Post by musikai »

Are you really sure you tried alt+arrow keys on your keyboard? Here this combination shifts Textframes, Textfields and all kind of graphics in very small amounts.
Win7 Pro, Lubuntu 15.10, LO 4.4.7, OO 4.1.3
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/li ... itect.html