Tables in Writer

Discuss the word processor
sluga9301

Tables in Writer

Post by sluga9301 »

Ok so i have a weird issue that i have no idea how to tackle....

I recently helped a co-worker move all of his documents from windows xp with office 2003, thats right....2003...to his new windows 10 desktop with OpenOffice.

It opens the files fine, but there are spreadsheets that are in the all of the .doc files (customer work orders). When i double click the spreadsheet to edit it, it creates the spreadsheet as a .tmp file, opens it in Calcs, but will not let me edit the spreadsheet as it opens it in Calcs as "read-only." I have tried running as administrator, and that didn't work. I tried changing permissions in the /tmp folder where it creates the tmp file, and that still doesn't work. Im stuck!!!! He is an older guy with not alot of computer experience, so i really dont want to tell him he has to create all new templates.. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!! I am stumped!

Screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about

https://imgur.com/a/hUt3j
OPenOffice 4.1.3 ---- Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Tables in Writer

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I would change it to Edit mode with the button in the toolbar, then save it as a .ods file and then replace the .xls file by this .ods.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
sluga9301

Post by sluga9301 »

The Edit file option is greyed out.
sluga9301

Post by sluga9301 »

I have confirmed that using Microsoft Excel does not have this issue. For some reason, it is just OpenOffice that won't let me edit
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Please upload one (non confidential) sample file here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.