OpenOffice saves all files as TextEdit files

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
selinap1

OpenOffice saves all files as TextEdit files

Post by selinap1 »

Since I updated my mac to macOS Sierra, my OpenOffice has been saving any file that I try to save, as a textedit file.
What exactly I mean by this is that when I go to save a file, it clearly says "save as..." and i put "save as odt". I click save, and then, there it is, textedit file. When I open it, it opens in openoffice, but no matter what I try it just wont save as an odt (or anything other than a textedit file, for that matter). When I try exporting it as a PDF from openoffice, it also becomes a textedit file. This is driving me absolutely crazy because nobody else on other computers can open my files. I have tried making new documents and without exception every single one (no matter what I try to save it as) becomes a textedit file.

I have tried:
- Uninstalling and reinstalling openoffice
- right clicking on the document, going to "get info" and setting all files to open with open office
- saving different kinds of files on openoffice (they all get saved as textedit)

Please help!
Openoffice v.4.1.3 on MacOS Sierra v.10.12.2
RusselB

Re: OpenOffice saves all files as TextEdit files

Post by RusselB »

This sounds like a file extension association problem.
While it sounds like your problem is slightly different, you might want to check Q33/A33 in the Mac FAQ
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice saves all files as TextEdit files

Post by lgusaas »

selinap1 wrote:Since I updated my mac to macOS Sierra, my OpenOffice has been saving any file that I try to save, as a textedit file.
What exactly I mean by this is that when I go to save a file, it clearly says "save as..." and i put "save as odt". I click save, and then, there it is, textedit file.
What is the file extension on the files you save? It should be .odt (filename.odt). A text file would be .txt (filename.txt)
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura