[Solved] OpenOffice deletes all text

Discuss the word processor
uma

[Solved] OpenOffice deletes all text

Post by uma »

On two occasions when I entered text in open office writer, the text has been deleted when I pressed the enter key. The first time I had written seven pages of text and pressed the enter key several times on these pages. Suddenly I only had a blank page on the screen, observe 1 (one) page, not seven. I had saved what I wrote regularly so I closed the program without saving the blank page and opening the document again, but what came up was the blank page. The second time this happened, I checked the "save" icon before i closed the program and it showed that the program just saved.

Two things therefore crash:
1. The program deletes all text when I press the enter key (but not always so).
2. The program saves itself the deleted text.

Anyone who has a clue?
I'm sitting at a Packard Bell computer with Windows 10 and writing on open office 4.1.1 in the program writer.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
open office 4.1.1 windows 10
RoryOF

Re: open office deletes all text

Post by RoryOF »

If you press Ctrl A by miss-keying a Shift a, that selects all text, and then that selected text is replaced by the next character you press. If you are aware that your text has gone missing, repeated Ctrl Z should bring it back.

What do you mean by "checked the Save icon"? If you mean you pressed that, that tells OpenOffice to Save the current file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
uma

Re: OpenOffice deletes all text

Post by uma »

I mean that when I looked at the icon, it was pale blue just like when you just saved..
open office 4.1.1 windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I do hate this computer
I really ought to sell it.
It never does what I want
but only what I tell it.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

In LibreOffice I could assign the action 'View' > '100%' (willingly chosen by me, not available in AOO) to the shortcut Ctrl+A. I chose Ctrl+Shift+<space> instead for the purpose of selecting all. Much less danger of errors now, even if I look at a hand-written draft or something else instead of at the screen. The action for Alt+E, then A is unchanged. No danger again.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München