Need help creating a timeline

Discuss the drawing application
Karmathedog

Need help creating a timeline

Post by Karmathedog »

I'm a very very new beginner. I need to create an extensive timeline of events. I don't even know where to start. Any and all help is very much appreciated! Thank you.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7
RusselB

Re: Need help creating a timeline

Post by RusselB »

Is this to be like a journal/diary or will you need to be able to look up information regarding events that are forthcoming as well as those that are in the past?
If journal/diary, I'd suggest using Writer.
if not, or if this is supposed to act like a scheduler, then Base would be my recommendation. Technically I wouldn't even recommend Base for a scheduler, but Open Office doesn't have something like Google Calendar
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Karmathedog

Post by Karmathedog »

It's a timeline of events I am supposed to use to present my case in court. But all of the language for any of this is completely foreign to me. I have no clue what any of it means or how to use any of it. I was told by my lawyer to create a powerpoint timeline, but I do not have powerpoint either. I'm so lost. I did find a timeline template and thought I was filling it out correctly but it seems like I have so much to write and so little space to write it in. So basically I need to be able to look up info about events that have happened in the past (an abuse situation) which is traumatic enough just reliving the experience, and then trying to put it all in a format that I have absolutely no experience with has just been too difficult. I apologize if my response is as confusing for you as this program is for me.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

My advice as a non-lawyer is to come to an understanding with your lawyer about how much detail is appropriate for this timeline. If PowerPoint is the correct format, then there cannot be much detail. That format is best with short bullet points. If a lot of detail is required, the Writer application, similar to Microsoft Word, is more appropriate.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Karmathedog wrote:I'm a very very new beginner. I need to create an extensive timeline of events. I don't even know where to start. Any and all help is very much appreciated! Thank you.
I would start with a pen and pad of paper, or even better, a set of "3 by 5" inch or "4 by 6" inch index cards. Your task has two quite separate parts: 1. Create a time line; 2. Get it into a suitable format for presentation. You do not want to try to do both at the same time.

Using the index cards for part 1
Record one and only one incident per card. Personally, I would put the date of the incident and a one-sentence statement describing it on one side and any details or explanations on the back of the card.

Then, lay the cards out in order by date and see if things make sense and tells the story in a linear and coherent manner. Once you have a first draft "timeline" you can add, remove, merge, or rearrange cards as needed.

Part 2
Once you have a timeline that presents the information you want to present, then worry about getting it into something like Impress (Apache OpenOffice's equivalent of PowerPoint). People here will happy to help you get it into Impress.

Impress or PowerPoint is like fancy wrapping paper. It looks pretty but the important thing is the gift inside.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

This query about "timeline" may help.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Karmathedog

Post by Karmathedog »

Thanks for the help. I tried to open the timeline (Ben Frankin example) provided in the query but it is in read only and I cannot edit it. Any idea how to change that? I would be interested in trying the Impress program as well if you think that is easier. My main problem is that I have absolutely no experience with any of these programs so even if I can manage to download the files provided on the links I still have no idea how to edit them properly. I have the info saved individually, similar to index cards just in notepad as it is. I just need a way to put the words on the timeline. If I could edit the timeline example then it would be a lot easier.

I've been playing phone tag with my lawyer today so hopefully she will call back again soon and I will be able to answer.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Hi,
I did not see the Ben Franklin example but it is likely that you need to save the file to your harddrive and open it from there. You could also try a File > Save as and save the file under a different name.

What is the file extension, .odt, ods, etc.?
I would be interested in trying the Impress program as well if you think that is easier.
It really depends on what the lawyer wants. A really simple one-page timeline might look like the attached file (very crude as I never really use Draw).

If she wants a timeline in PowerPoint ( Impress here) then it sounds as if she wants each incident on a separate slide, it sounds like she wants more of a narrative.
Attachments
tml1.odg
(12.07 KiB) Downloaded 584 times
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04