Book cover art has to be resized (?)

Discuss the drawing application
davidlaing

Book cover art has to be resized (?)

Post by davidlaing »

On Barnes & Noble Nookbooks, I tried to import the book cover I designed on openoffice draw and used successfully on amazon.com, but received an error msg saying that the cover must be at least 750 px on the long edge (it's got to be at least that!). I reimported the photo (taken on my iPhone 5) after exporting it and increasing the file size, but got the same result. Any ideas what's wrong here? Also, there's a peach-colored wash behind the subtitle that I need to eliminate, but can't find a way to do that. When I put the cover together, I started by importing the picture, then selected the T tool, but it wouldn't work over the photo, so I had to use it in the blank space to the left, write the title, etc., there, move it to the right with the right cursor, and then use Modify>Arrange>Bring to front to set it properly. I tried to upload the cover image here, but don't know how to do it.

Tx,
OpenOffice 4.1.2. on Mac OS X 10.9.5
robleyd

Re: book cover art has to be resized (?)

Post by robleyd »

[Forum] How to attach a document here Note maximum file size is 128K. If your file is larger, use a file sharing site such as Mediafire. The link also contains information on how to anonymise your document if it contains confidential information.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
davidlaing

Post by davidlaing »

Sorry, Robleyd, but all the technical stuff in the "how to" page you sent me to is just so much unintelligible gobbledygook as far as I'm concerned, and there's no way that my poor brain can make any sense of it. Could you please instead just give me a simple "Do this, then do that, etc.?" All I can promise is that I'l try my best. Tx!
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for all you need to know to do what you want to do.

See this post for further instructions for getting the image out of Draw at the correct pixel count [Solved] Cant export my giant image from draw

750 pixels is very poor quality for any reasonably sized book as you need at least 150 pixels/inch, and preferably 300 pixels/inch, if it is to look reasonable. If the book is 7" high, you therefore need 7 x 150 = 1,050 pixels, or 7 x 300 = 2,100 pixels.

Try mediafire.com for your upload or use Dropbox or Google Drive if you have them.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

davidlaing wrote:Sorry, Robleyd, but all the technical stuff in the "how to" page you sent me to is just so much unintelligible gobbledygook as far as I'm concerned, and there's no way that my poor brain can make any sense of it. Could you please instead just give me a simple "Do this, then do that, etc.?" All I can promise is that I'l try my best. Tx!
I am sorry, but I thought the pictures in the post that I linked would make it easy to understand the process of attaching an image. Perhaps if you overlook the first few paragraphs of that post and start at the section titled Uploading the file. Follow the steps in the four following images until you get to the line
Check that all is fine with the Preview button. And submit your post.
That is all you need to do.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
davidlaing

Post by davidlaing »

I'm still totally confused. I can't see an "Upload the file" button anywhere on this page!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The upload tab is below the Submit button on Post Reply or Full Editor screens, not on the Quick Reply screen.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
davidlaing

Post by davidlaing »

"The attachment’s file size is too large," so, what do I do now, please?
Tx.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

davidlaing wrote:"The attachment’s file size is too large," so, what do I do now, please?
Tx.
Read my post above.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
davidlaing

Post by davidlaing »

How do I access the "Full Editor" screen, again?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Press the Posr Reply button at the bottom left of Quick Reply screen or press the Full Editor button to right of Submit button on that same window.,
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
davidlaing

Post by davidlaing »

Here's the reduced file.
Attachments
IPOC cover art.png
IPOC cover art.png (25.22 KiB) Viewed 6465 times