[Solved] Errant double horizontal line: can't delete

Discuss the word processor
TheOnlyRogueAngel

Re: [Solved] Errant double horizontal line: can't delete

Post by TheOnlyRogueAngel »

I had to do Format > Paragraph > Borders Tab > Line Arrangement box > click on the first box 'set no borders', and click OK. I had to keep doing this a few times, as the double line just moved up the page. Sometimes I had to keep doing it to the top of the page, at which point it disappeared, and sometimes it disappeared after 2-3 tries. It depends how many times you've tried to get rid of it using other means.
Open Office 4 on Windows 7 HP.
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

I did, no good
I have a SINGLE line formed after I typed hyphens and pressed enter. It's turned into ghost, cannot delete it, tried all solutions described here above
OpenOffice 4.1.1.
Windows 8.1 Pro
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try this: click cursor in the paragraph with the line. Select /Format /Paragraph. On the Borders tab, on the line weight selector scroll up to "none" and click on that. Then press OK.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

:roll:
OpenOffice 4.1.1.
Windows 8.1 Pro
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

1.Here's what finally solved it for me: I saved the file in RTF format
2. In each case where I had the problem (horizontal line BELLOW the paragraph) I stayed in the paragraph above and did the Format- Paragraph - Default (Under line arrangement). That removed the line below that paragraph. Then, on to the next one.
NOTE: what I was doing before, when it did not work, I was selecting the entire area (paragraph above, abusive line and paragraph below, thus making sure it would work !) and it was doing NOTHING. Thank you all for your help, it was invaluable.
OpenOffice 4.1.1.
Windows 8.1 Pro
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Pay attention when you enter a divider such as three hyphens: when you press Enter (unless you have disabled the option) OO wll draw a dividing line. Press Ctrl Z and the line will revert to the hyphens.

Be aware that OO does not like RTF format. It may be OK for small files, but book length files may get corrupted (beyond repair) if saved in RTF format.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

oliverpsmile wrote:NOTE: what I was doing before, when it did not work, I was selecting the entire area (paragraph above, abusive line and paragraph below, thus making sure it would work !) and it was doing NOTHING.
See [Tutorial] Automatic functions in Writer - enable / disable for the reason.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

I have automatic functions disabled, but it was still doing it. BTW, ultimately, I re-saved in DOC format, after the problem was solved
OpenOffice 4.1.1.
Windows 8.1 Pro
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

oliverpsmile wrote:NOTE: what I was doing before, when it did not work, I was selecting the entire area (paragraph above, abusive line and paragraph below, thus making sure it would work !) and it was doing NOTHING. Thank you all for your help, it was invaluable.
Actually, that's making sure it doesn't work. When you select a paragraph with a border and a paragraph without a border, you're trying to remove a border from a paragraph that doesn't have a border and nothing happens. In this case you have to add a border to both paragraphs, then you can remove the border from both paragraphs.
oliverpsmile wrote:I have automatic functions disabled, but it was still doing it. BTW, ultimately, I re-saved in DOC format, after the problem was solved
That disables automatically adding the border to new paragraphs. It won't remove any borders which already exist.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

Yeah, I understand this now. But I am still very happy using OO, much better than the MS stuff. However, I have to save in DOC format, since everybody else is using MS word :(
In any event, thank you all who helped
OpenOffice 4.1.1.
Windows 8.1 Pro
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Please note that versions of MS Word (technically Microsoft Office) 2007 and later do support the reading a writing of the Open Document Formats (.odt for Writer).
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

I would like very much to see how ANYBODY can convince a corporate client, using MS Office, to save in OO format instead...
OpenOffice 4.1.1.
Windows 8.1 Pro
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

oliverpsmile wrote:I would like very much to see how ANYBODY can convince a corporate client, using MS Office, to save in OO format instead...
Ask them to read [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files. They will be horrified when they understand that Microsoft does not even adhere to its own, self professed, standards.

Is the UK Government "corporate" enough for you? It has mandated ODF format for all Government documents - see UK Government chooses ODF for all government documents

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

And Corporate bodies have (God help us!) dedicated IT departments...
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

oliverpsmile wrote:I would like very much to see how ANYBODY can convince a corporate client, using MS Office, to save in OO format instead...
La Gendarmerie Nationale upgrades 85,000 PCs to Ubuntu Desktop Edition
https://insights.ubuntu.com/2010/11/10/ ... p-edition/
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

I'm sorry people, I'm talking about the U.S. of A
OpenOffice 4.1.1.
Windows 8.1 Pro
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

and oh, p.s.
I love OO and I believe Microsoft's stuff is just over bloated code that should have been abandoned long time ago (only if they had not bought and killed any viable alternative long ago), but corporate IT dpts here are of a different opinion :(
OpenOffice 4.1.1.
Windows 8.1 Pro
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

oliverpsmile wrote:I'm sorry people, I'm talking about the U.S. of A
There is an entire world outside of the U.S. of A. It was said as early as the 1820s that "when good Americans die, they go to Paris"; even then it was understood that Paradise was possibly elsewhere than the U.S. of A.
nikkitytom

Post by nikkitytom »

Thank YOU. Now please post this simple solution at the top of this page of comments. I thankfully repeat...

Go to Format
Choose Paragraph
Choose Borders
Scroll UP. ... yep they’ve hidden the “none” at the top where you don’t see it.
Choose NONE

Then take a nap and sweep up all the hair you’ve pulled out trying to solve this ridiculous hitch. :cry:
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista