Hidden Field

Discuss the database features
jmwilton

Hidden Field

Post by jmwilton »

How do I get a hidden field/column to reappear in the Table View?
I see that you can select a column name and choose "Hide".
I must have previously done this on one of my columns ... now: How to get it to display again.

Thanks.
Apache Open Office 4.1.3
Windows 10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Hidden Field

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Right click on a blank area on the line showing the table columns. You may need to expand the width of the table if there is no blank area showing.
If you have any hidden columns you should get an option to Show Columns.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
jmwilton

Post by jmwilton »

I am in Table View and clicking on the blank area to the right of the column names. I am NOT getting any options displayed.
Did I misunderstand your directions?
I am using version 4.1.3.

Thanks for your help.
Apache Open Office 4.1.3
Windows 10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

When you right click you should at least get Insert Column if there are no other options then there are no hidden columns.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
jmwilton

Post by jmwilton »

Upon further investigation, I have some new details.
In design mode, I can copy the field and paste it as a new field.
After saving the table, I can open the table and see the new field at the end of the table (right most) ... but all of the entries are blank.
I am not sure if copying the field should copy the data also.
So OpenOffice knows about the field... but just isn't displaying it.
Fortunately the database is relatively small and the field is only the zip code portion of an address. So I can try and reenter data in the new field ... :(
I did download the 4.1.3 version again and let it do a repair/install/reboot.
I also tried creating a query with the output being Table.* and the field did not appear.
Apache Open Office 4.1.3
Windows 10
jmwilton

Post by jmwilton »

This is an update to my "Upon further investigation" post.
I copied the database to another directory with a different name.
I then double clicked the file in that directory.
Magically I now see the original field when I open the table.

Interesting....
Apache Open Office 4.1.3
Windows 10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Any changes, such as Hide Column, made in the Active mode are just temporary. When you close the Form and re-open it the hidden columns will reappear.
Changes made in the Design mode will persist assuming you Save your changes.
In design mode, I can copy the field and paste it as a new field.
After saving the table, I can open the table and see the new field at the end of the table (right most) ... but all of the entries are blank.
When you add a new column to a table in the design mode you must connect it to a data field.
In the design mode right click on the new column and select Column to open the Properties Dialog. Select the Data tab and click on the drop down arrow to the right of the Data field property to see a list of available fields. Select the field you want.
When you exit the Design mode and return to the Active mode the table column should now display the data.