Creating a self populating check list

Discuss the database features
julesverne

Creating a self populating check list

Post by julesverne »

Hello, I'm fairly new to OpenOffice and was wondering if I could get some help creating some forms for work. I am trying to create checklists for solar electrical systems, ideally I'd like to be able to open a document and select multiple terms from a list (for example: fuses, breakers, glands, continuity test, batteries, etc.), and then have those automatically populate a form with the terms and a description of what that term entails. For example if someone selected fuses, glands, and continuity test, they would get a form like:

____ Fuses: make sure fuses are the proper amperage
____ Glands: installed in the proper location and tightened securely
____ Continuity Test: Make sure wire leads have proper continuity and polarity does not cross

Thank you in advance!
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Creating a self populating check list

Post by jrkrideau »

I'd suggest taking this over to the Base forum. It seems very clear that the best tool for the job is a data base.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
julesverne

Post by julesverne »

Will do, appreciate it
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Database design has nothing to do with OpenOffice. It is the same art you have to master for any type of relational database.

So you mentioned 3 attributes to store. There might be a lot more. I can think of
who? some technichian
where? some project, client, location which required the logged action
when? possibly an (automatic) time stamp
bundles of what? actions could be bundled, e.g. bundle A implies actions x, y and z

Not considering all the items that need to be stored leads to trouble. A relational database is difficult to change once you started populating the structure with real data.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

I uploaded a simplified demonstration database with a 4 tables and 3 forms based on my understanding of what you want to accomplish.
It should give you an idea of how a database might be used to solve your problem.
Attachments
Demo11WorkOrder.odb
(30.63 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11