[Solved] Toolbar icons disappeared overnight!!

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
zakm

[Solved] Toolbar icons disappeared overnight!!

Post by zakm »

I have a bizarre problem, all my toolbar icons have disappeared overnight.

I already tried everything I can, I uninstalled the suite twice, erased all folders remaining after install, and nothing.
This happens on all apps of the suite I have installed.

"Galaxy" icon set is most affected, "Classic" shows some icons:
eYGDVvj.png
eYGDVvj.png (10.22 KiB) Viewed 8965 times
IAAG0ma.png
I tried closing and reopening the toolbars, nothing.
I also tried editing, and when I do, I can see the icons in that option window:
dHX7Ta5.png
I haven't changed anything on the installation, the only thing I recently "changed" is that Windows updated .NET

Any clues about this and how to fix it? It's super annoying.
 Edit:  I tried uninstalling the .NET update, but it didn't do anything. If it changed something that didn't get removed on uninstall, I don't know.
The update is this one: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... et-framewo
I applied it yesterday. It's the only reason I can think of, but I don't know how to fix this. 
Last edited by zakm on Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Toolbar icons disappeared overnight!!

Post by Bill »

If you're using a custom Windows 7 theme, try switching to the default theme and see if that helps.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
zakm

Post by zakm »

Bill, I am not.
I am using the standard (classic) look, as you can see from the window types shown on the screenshot.
And as I said, this has NEVER been a problem, I've been using this OS for 6 years and OpenOffice on it since.

It changed with the latest WIndows update as far as I can tell.
I don't even know how to submit a bug report, I couldn't find a way, just managed to search to existing reports.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Today's silly question: have you closed down (powered off) and restarted your computer since the Windows update?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
zakm

Post by zakm »

Yup, I am not a moron. Restart is required after every update.
I also restarted after removing that .NET update.

This is still a problem. No icons.
It has to be a bug or something. How can I report it? This is ridiculous.
klenkes

Post by klenkes »

Same happened to me.
It's not only OO but also MSOffice 2002 and other programs as well, like Irfanview won't show images unless I resize its window.
Something weird happened there...
OPenOffice 4.1.1 on Win7 Pro 64bit
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

zakm wrote:Yup, I am not a moron. Restart is required after every update.
I also restarted after removing that .NET update..
It was not my intention to suggest you are a moron, nor did I do so. You would be surprised how many users think their computer should run forever without a reboot.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Bill wrote:If you're using a custom Windows 7 theme, try switching to the default theme and see if that helps.
zakm wrote:Bill, I am not.
I am using the standard (classic) look...
Let me rephrase my comment. If you're not using the default theme, then try switching to the default theme. The "standard" classic theme is not the default theme. I haven't used Windows 7 for years, but I have found comments on other forums about the classic theme hurting performance when compared to the default Aero theme..
zakm

Post by zakm »

RoryOF: I took no offense, none at all :D

Bill: This was working just fine until two days ago. It's not the theme. And if it is it needs to be fixed.
I had no performance issues. This isn't a performance issue. The icons have disappeared. It's some problem. I repeat, I have used Open Office since, I dunno, 2001. So on this OS, since I got it in late 2011 til now, always. Never a problem.

I submitted a bug report now. I figured out how.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Here's the link to the bug report in case anyone else has the same problem and wants to comment on it:

Issue 127502 - Icons disappeared overnight
zakm

Post by zakm »

Woops, I meant to link to the bug report too, thanks Bill!
lecblue

Re: [Issue] Toolbar icons disappeared overnight!!

Post by lecblue »

A friend is having similar issue with the missing icons.
He believes some update occured just before the failure but cannot be sure what was updated.
In his set up, Win 7 Pro OO 4.1.0, Icons were there one day. They were missing the next.
Before finding this forum entry, I updated his OO to 4.1.3. Still failed. I rebooted. still failed. I renamed the user profiles. Worked, well no it didn't.

I have him on a laptop with and attached monitor. The system is arranged to extend his desktop up into the monitor. In the previous tests, OO was set to start up on the monitor. When I renamed the profile, the application defaulted back to the primary display (the laptop screen). As mentioned,the icons appear when OO starts on the laptop monitor.

When the window is dragged up to the monitor, they remain. BUT, any attempt to resize the window causes the icons to disappear.

I attempted other things like trying to couple different monitor settings. Not exhaustive, but the couple of setting I tried did fail.
My guess is how the icon is chosen and resized determines if the icon will display.

For now he will used that application only on the laptop display. Other applications are not experiencing this issue. This issue is not limitied to the tool bar. When you fire up the OO main menu the icos for Text, Spreadsheet, etc do not appear. Again based on whether the application opens on the laptop display or the second display (monitor)
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Resolution of the external monitor?
klenkes

Post by klenkes »

lecblue wrote:For now he will used that application only on the laptop display. Other applications are not experiencing this issue. This issue is not limitied to the tool bar. When you fire up the OO main menu the icos for Text, Spreadsheet, etc do not appear. Again based on whether the application opens on the laptop display or the second display (monitor)
You are absolutely right! I can reproduce this exact behaviour.

I have two monitors, and the problem does not occur on the monitor with my WIN taskbar, only on the second monitor.
I can even open OO on the second monitor and no icons are shown and then drag the window to the other monitor and open a new document and suddenly the icons show.

This has definitely to do with an update from Aug 9nth and is not limited to OO but affects other programs as well.
OPenOffice 4.1.1 on Win7 Pro 64bit
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Windows update KB4034664 which was released Aug 8, 2017 has been reported to cause this problem on Windows 7 systems where desktop composition has been turned off. Suggested workarounds include uninstalling the update, enabling desktop composition, and switching to an Aero theme. I don't have Windows 7, so I can't test these workarounds.

Windows Update KB4034664 is causing trouble on 2nd screen

How to Enable or Disable Desktop Composition in Windows 7 and Vista
zakm

Post by zakm »

Well I am glad I am not crazy.

I reproduced the exact same behavior by moving the window to the laptop screen, and the icons appeared! What a load of garbage!
I will remove this "update" immediately.

Thanks for all your help!
Bill
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Toolbar icons disappeared overnight!!

Post by Bill »

It should be noted that the Windows 7 Classic theme uses older technology and disables Desktop Composition in Windows 7, so switching to a newer theme which doesn't disable Desktop Composition should also fix the problem.
cyclingg

Re: [Solved] Toolbar icons disappeared overnight!!

Post by cyclingg »

I had this problem and I started a new topic when I could not find a solution when I did a search (wrong search words, oops).

I unchecked "Enable desktop composition" in the Performance Options of Windows 7 and it worked. I hope this does not mess something else up; I must have had it off for a reason.

Thanks.

Moderators, please delete the thread I started on this topic (I only posted once so far). Thanks.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7 64-bit