[Solved] I can't change my account email address. Help!

Let us know how we are doing -
TAFFman

[Solved] I can't change my account email address. Help!

Post by TAFFman »

The email account that I used when I registered here is now closed. So I'd like to change the email address I have on record with this site.

I went to the User Control Panel (via the link at the top of most forum pages); I selected the Profile tab, and then I choose 'Edit account settings'. According to other posts I read about how to change your email address, there should be editable boxes here where I can type in an email address and confirm it. One of the other posts on this issue even had an attached screenshot showing these 2 editable email boxes. But on my 'Edit account settings' window, there is only one line that shows my registered email address (i.e., there is no second line called 'Confirm email address', with an editable entry box next to it). The line showing my registered email address is NOT editable.

So what's going on here? How do I change my email address? (My OS and version of OO are in my signature line.)
Last edited by TAFFman on Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 3.2 on MacOS 10.5
FJCC

Re: I can't change my account email address. Help!

Post by FJCC »

I can't see any problem with the steps you are taking and I can't find a screen that looks like that. Can you make an image of the screen you are on and upload it? There is an Upload Attachment tab just below the box where you type a response after clicking Post Reply.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

FJCC

I think this topic might have the image that is referred to by OP: I have a suspicion that users may not be able to change email address until they have been around awhile or accrued a few posts; currently scratching through the phpBB docs to see what I can find.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
acknak

Post by acknak »

Testing with an unprivileged account shows the email and "confirm email" fields, so I assume it is possible to change your registered email address yourself.

Not sure why it's not working for you; you have to be logged in, but that must be the case to get the "user control panel" link.

If you don't get it to work, send an email to the admin mail box: aoo-dot-forum-dot-en-at-gmail-dot-com

Include your forum user name, old email, and new email, and one of the admins can make the change.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
TAFFman

Post by TAFFman »

1) Thank you all for the very quick and informative responses to my question.

2) To robleyd: The image that I saw, which I referred to in my post, was actually in a different topic than the one you referenced. It was viewtopic.php?f=50&t=88546&p=416624&hil ... ss#p416624 But the one you referenced shows a screenshot of essentially the same thing.

3) To FJCC: I went to my User Control Panel to make a screenshot of the non-editable 'Edit account settings' screen I got, so I could upload it here; and to my surprise the screen now had the 2 editable boxes for email address (like it was supposed to)! I know I had previously logged in and gone to that screen on at least 2 separate occasions, and those editable boxes were not there before.

4) Because the editable boxes were now there, I changed my email address, submitted the change, received the reactivation email, and successfully got back in to my reactivated account. My profile now correctly shows my new email address. Problem resolved.

Thanks!
OpenOffice 3.2 on MacOS 10.5
robleyd

Re: [Solved] I can't change my account email address. Help!

Post by robleyd »

Just a guess; but possibly the forum software needs you to have posted a topic before you can change your email address?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers