AOO 4.1.3 Asks for profile setup on each startup

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Lion

AOO 4.1.3 Asks for profile setup on each startup

Post by Lion »

I just installed 4.1.3 and it's driving me crazy. Every time I shut the program down and then start up again, it forgets my profile and asks for it all over again.

The problem with this is I strip the auto correct options out, and have to do it again each bloody time.

Suggestions?
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 8
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: OO 4.1.3 Asks for profile setup on each startup

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Try resetting your user profile
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426#p58403
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Lion

Post by Lion »

Thanks for your answer but it's not working.

One of the steps in resetting the profile is to restart the program, create a new user profile and see if that works. It will create a happy new profile and then totally forget it AGAIN when I restart the program yet again.

This has been going on for a week or more, and it does not seem to be SAVING the profile once I shut down.

Pasting the old user profile back in, will just have me doing that process again and again every time I restart.

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows what the problem is.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Try uninstalling AOO using Revo Uninstaller Free http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uni ... nload.html with its most aggressive settings. The re-install.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows what the problem is.

- Is this happened at rebooting of the computer, or at relaunching of the office suite?

- Maybe it was activated a system restore point at rebooting?

- Where (which hdd driver or other place) the user Profile is located on your machine?

- Check your storage device (HDD, SSD, thumbdrive) if is not damaged.

- Check your antivirus software for false activity.

- Create a copy of the User Profile directory, while the office suite is running and works well. Then close the office suite. Check if the original user profile exist, or changed, damaged anyway (compare its content to the copied one).
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Lion

Post by Lion »

Sadly annoyance has become full blown disaster.

I tried going to the profile and while it was open, tried opening one of my latest files to look at OO and make sure everything was good before I copied my profile over.

When I opened my file up it told me the file was locked and I could open a read-only copy, which I did.

The file was no longer my document, but instead a couple pages of nothing but hashtags.

I tried opening it a few time, including after rebooting the computer. Oddly enough, the last time I tried, it did NOT ask me to create a user profile.

I used the suggested removal tool, uninstalled, reinstalled, and oddly enough, with the whole program once again installed and reinstalled it once again didn't ask me to create a user profile.

I tried opening the document again, but again all I have is ####### hashtags - blocks and blocks of them. I tried "open a copy" but got the exact same hashtag results.

There are two files in the folder that contains my document, at present. One is named .~lock.17-A Cranky morning.doc# and is 1 KB in size. The other is 17-A Cranky morning.doc (the original file name) and is 18 KB and I'm praying this is my original file and can still be opened/saved. I really don't want to recreate the whole chapter/file. Is there some way of saving this?

Now I'm terrified of touching anything or even opening my other chapters, lest they turn into hashtag disasters too. I don't want to lose a couple years worth of writing.

What on earth should I do now?

Thanks!
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Deleting the file ~lock.17-A Cranky morning.doc# will allow you to open the other file normally.
The lock file usually is removed after a proper closing of Open Office. This is part of the housekeeping that Open Office performs when closing a file, but can't do if the power is turned off prematurely.
I would also like to encourage you to change from the .doc M$Word format to the Open Document format, which uses the .odt extension.

There is a tutorial regarding the multiple hashtags at viewtopic.php?f=74&t=84056
A quick search for the term hashtags brought back 48 posts, and I'm sure there have been many more, but didn't actually include the term hashtag, so my search didn't return them.
It is a very commonly reported problem.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I tried opening the document again, but again all I have is ####### hashtags - blocks and blocks of them. I tried "open a copy" but got the exact same hashtag results.

There are two files in the folder that contains my document, at present. One is named .~lock.17-A Cranky morning.doc# and is 1 KB in size. The other is 17-A Cranky morning.doc (the original file name) and is 18 KB and I'm praying this is my original file and can still be opened/saved. I really don't want to recreate the whole chapter/file. Is there some way of saving this?
This is a shows you: Maybe there was some hardware/software problems during the save procedure at the operating system level. Your file is probably damaged.
Always shut down the computer (and remove a removable media, where you save your documents) after the end of the saving procedures. Wait 10-15 seconds after the procedure seems to ended, because the real (physical) byte-writing procedure is cached and delayed in the storage device.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Lion

Post by Lion »

Thanks for everyone's help. I managed to check on of the other files (killed the lock files in the folder before I tried opening it) and the other files (at least the ones I've checked) seem okay.

Yes, there was a power outage involved. We call this a tornado here in FL. It was a nasty one. :(

I used to save in .odt format, but this became a pain, as I frequently trade files with other writers who use Word. That led to multiple edited files, making it challenging to figure out which file was the original and which had the new edits.

Also, because ultimately, I need to put the files into .doc to make them work with my publisher's compilation programs, it seemed redundant to work with .odt. If publishers would have the decency to make their software OO compatible, it'd save me a lot of hassle! However if it's going to save my butt in retrieving broken files, I'll switch back to .odt, and just use ,doc when I prepare the compilation.

I won't mark this as solved just yet, as I haven't opened/closed the program enough to be sure that it won't ask for my profile another 20 times.

But again, thanks to everyone who responded.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Also, because ultimately, I need to put the files into .doc to make them work with my publisher's compilation programs, it seemed redundant to work with .odt.
Saving in ODF fileformat is not a redundant method!
It is a safe way, but not a redundant way. Always store your documents in the international Standard ODF fileformat (if you want to work efficiently with the AOO or LO), and after you completed the document, you can export it into foreign fileformats. Always check the result of the conversion with a free
- MS Word Viewer software (for doc or docx export)
- pdf reader (for pdf export).

Note: There is not (never was, and never will be) 100% compatibility between the different fileformat. The AOO and LO always work in the ODF fileformats, therefore always needed to convert a foreign fileformat document at opening and at saving.
Lion

Post by Lion »

Yup, I'm re-convinced! I'll deal with converting copies!

In the past I ALWAYS used .odt. The PITA came when I'd send back and forth to my other co-writers and then if I forgot to convert they'd be boggled on how to open my stuff. If I could just get them all on board with OO life would be easier! :)'

Don't ask me why, but some of my friends/family seem to be boggled with how to use OO, even though it works almost exactly the same as MS Office. Really, if you've used Word, there's not much of a learning curve but...*sigh.*

IMO, OpenOffice is a FAR better platform. I'd rather work open source any day. And it doesn't hurt that I don't have to shell out a few hundred every couple years for a few minor improvements, either.

On the good news, I've recreated my murdered file,(and thank gods for handwritten notes and a good memory) maybe even better than it was the first time. And for whatever reason, the program didn't ask me for a new profile the last time I opened it. It might have been that during the tornado something actually "stuck" or it might have been the uninstall/reinstall. Actually it started NOT asking for the profile before the uninstall so...?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

On the good news, I've recreated my murdered file,(and thank gods for handwritten notes and a good memory) maybe even better than it was the first time.
Maybe the God helped you in this case, but...
The eleventh commandment: Always create more than one backup of your important documents! ;)

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=86742&p=420578
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The PITA came when I'd send back and forth to my other co-writers and then if I forgot to convert they'd be boggled on how to open my stuff. If I could just get them all on board with OO life would be easier! :)'
I agree that this would be the easiest solution, however, if your co-writers are working with M$ Writer (M$ Office) 2007 (or later), then those versions will open and write the Open Document Format {ODF] (which Open Office and Libre Office use as a default), thus the program (as long as it's up-to-date enough) can handle the conversions.
Note: There is always a possibility of a loss of data and/or formatting when using a format other than the ODF. There isn't, never has been, and never will be 100% compatibility between ODF and Microsoft's proprietary formats.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Lion

Re: AOO 4.1.3 Asks for profile setup on each startup

Post by Lion »

Well another document got turned to hashtags. :( After I had saved and closed the document. The program was hanging (not responding) and hanging.

AND the profile problem is still happening. As for saving a backup, since the profile isn't saving, it's not remembering to save a backup either
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

How are you starting OpenOffice? Are you starting it from an icon on the desktop? Is such icon a blue globe with seagulls, or a yellow folder? Or a downloaded .exe file with a name similar to Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.3_Win_x86_install_en_US.exe?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

AND the profile problem is still happening. As for saving a backup, since the profile isn't saving, it's not remembering to save a backup either
Try to install the LibreOffice (the latest Still version). If the profile problem will be same with the LO, then the problem is located in your system (damaged HDD or some wrong op.sys. setting... etc...)

You can install LO near the AOO (not needed uninstall the AOO), and they can run in same time on my Win 7 (except the portable versions).
exx-man

Post by exx-man »

I'm sure I'm in the wrong place to ask this question but I've wasted an hour already trying to find a way to get support to no avail. If someone could direct me to the proper place and procedure I would be much obliged. I have downloaded Open Office in order to open files I can't open with the word processing software that came with my computer. I like the features of Word Pad better than Open Office for spacing and tabs. My problem is that after I save my Word Pad documents, they are being converted to Open Office which throws everything off. How do I stop that from happening? If there is no way to do that, what happens to all of my files that have been converted to Open Office if I remove the software from my laptop.
Open Office 3.4, Windows XP
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The files are _NOT_ in any way converted. What has happened is that the recently installed OpenOffice has assumed responsibility for opening the files. You can change the File Associations for such files to cause some other program to open them. Details on this are given in
[Tutorial] Setting the default program for MS Office formats

You should in any case be able to open such files by starting the desired program and using /File /Open and the navigation buttons to select the target file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
exx-man

Post by exx-man »

Thank you. That was very helpful.
Open Office 3.4, Windows XP
Lion

Post by Lion »

RoryOF wrote:How are you starting OpenOffice? Are you starting it from an icon on the desktop? Is such icon a blue globe with seagulls, or a yellow folder? Or a downloaded .exe file with a name similar to Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.3_Win_x86_install_en_US.exe?
Depend. I'm either starting it with my desktop icon (yep, it's the happy seagull icon) or by double clocking on the file I'm trying to open, whichever is easier at the time. No, I'm not reinstalling the program each time ;)

I've been using OO for years and this has been happening since I upgraded to 4.1.3 about 2 weeks ago. I've never had this problem in the past.
Lion

Post by Lion »

Zizi64 wrote:
Try to install the LibreOffice (the latest Still version). If the profile problem will be same with the LO, then the problem is located in your system (damaged HDD or some wrong op.sys. setting... etc...)

You can install LO near the AOO (not needed uninstall the AOO), and they can run in same time on my Win 7 (except the portable versions).
Thanks I'll try to find that - will that run on Win 8?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Yes - LibreOffice System requirements

Download from here.
 Edit: Fixed download link 
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Lion

Post by Lion »

Zizi64 wrote:

Okay wow = I installed LibreOffice and rebooted and it remembered the profile (and the changes I made) with absolutely no problem!

So! Some questions: What's the difference between LO and OO? Other than this latest profile disaster, is there a reason I should stick with one or the other (once the profile problem hopefully gets fixed)? I've been using OO for about 10-15 years now, so I'm really more comfortable with it and would prefer to go back, but are there reasons someone would use one over the other?

Thanks so much!
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

What's the difference between LO and OO?
The source code of the LO was forked from the code of the OpenOffice, therefore the most of the features are the same.
But the speed of development is faster at the LO. That causes: More compatibility with the foreign file formats, and with the new features of the other office suites, and - maybe - causes more much bugs. The 5.x.x versions of the LO has have a littlebit different user interface now.

If your original problem will not raise with the LO, that possibly means: you not achieved a really clean reinstall of the AOO, or the installer file was damaged.
If your original problem will not raise with the LO, that shows you: The problem is not located in the programcode of the AOO, but it is in the specific installation (damaged installer file), or in the environment of the software (wrong settings of the op.sys., or a malware action, or a false alarm and action of the antivirus software), or maybe there is some hardware malfunction.

I am using the LibreOffice since the date of fork. The LibreOffice project started at OpenOfice version 3.3.x - with same version number. The latest Fresh LO is the 5.3.4 version, the latest Still LO is the 5.2.7 version today. The latest version of the AOO is 4.1.3. So, it shows the speed of the development.
There was (and there is) some bug problems with some LO subversions, but generally I can to say: it is a stable office suite. We (at my workplace) are using the LibreOffice (4.4.7 version).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice#Licensing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice#History