Pictures suddenly stopped displaying

Discuss the presentation application
Francewhoa

Re: Pictures suddenly stopped displaying

Post by Francewhoa »

Same here. The following worked for us. Close all OpenOffice windows. Then re-open your document. Image are now showing. It seems to be related to a memory issue.

If that doesn't work here are two other solutions:
1. Post hoc solution: Open your document, press F5, expand "Graphics" section. For each of the images, right click and select: "Drag Mode > Insert a Copy". This ensure that a hardcopy of the image is used instead of a link to the image. Note that this might increase the overall document size.
2. Proactive solution: Do not use drag and drop or copy and paste of images into Impress. Instead, use Insert –> Picture –> From File. The important part is to make sure that "Link" is not checked.

In my opinion, the default behaviour should be to make a hard copy of the image with an option the create a link. Not the other way around. Or maybe an OpenOffice preference to set what works best for you.

source: http://www.robinbye.com/blog/2010/05/24 ... entations/
OpenOffice 3.2.0
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is always worth increasing the memory allocations under /Tools/Options/OpenOffice.org : Memory (Under Preferences on Macs). These allocations are by default set conservatively. After changing these settings you should restart OpenOffice including the Quickstarter to ensure they take. The best way to do this is to power off computer after closing OpenOffice.

In terms of links/embedding, it is worth installing Presentation Minimizer which will, when run, embed all images at an optimum resolution. It leaves an untouched copy of the original file. Details on its location are earlier in this thread.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
k1ypp

Post by k1ypp »

Has this issue ever been actually fixed? I was editing a version of a book that was previously published and replacing black and white photos with color. At one point, in Writer, I opened the document to work on it (this was a several week project!) and the photos were all missing, with a blank box replacing them with "Error," etc. in the box. I had to go back through and replace them all, it took a few days.

I started saving with different file names, and sure enough, it did happen a few more times, but I lost only hours instead of days of work.

The book was finally released a few days ago. My wife's system is now experiencing a similar issue with Impress, she's lost lost of work. She's working on something related to her book. In the interest of marital bliss, I'd love to know if there is a solution to this ongoing problem? As previously suggested, we just bumped up the memory parameters, etc., but nobody suggested what might work, so that was just a guess.

We're both using OO 3.4.1 on Win 7.

HELP!

Dennis
OpenOffice 4.1.0 on Windows 7 and XP
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

acknak's remarks in this posting
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... 14#p260364
may be of assistance.

It is often the case that pictures are used in OpenOffice at an unnecessarily high resolution, thereby making for big files.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
normdoll

Post by normdoll »

I have the same disastrous problem
Open Office 3.4.1
planmeister

Post by planmeister »

I'm a relative veteran OO word processor user. I just started using the OO presentation package ("Impress" is it?). I'll confess to not being impressed. (For the record, I was a relative master at MS PowerPoint.)

I have created two files, one of 4 slides, the second of 6 slides. I have populated these slides with .jpgs from a single folder on my iMac.

As far as I know (haven't peaked today), the first slide set is OK. But the second one, first all the pictures on Slide 6 disappeared. There is an icon, and a colorful ellipsis sign marking each vacancy. My text-box captions are there, maddeningly/helpfully describing the missing photos. So I found and replaced all the pix on Slide 6 (including time to [1] Crop and [2] Position each one. Only to discover that now all the pix on Slide 2 are similarly missing. (These are NOT internet links -- I created and own the pix. The pix remain in the source folder.)

Having read the Forum a bit, it seems quite clear to me that this has been a persistent design issue for "Impress" for a number of years. Nor do I get a sense that there is a real fix for the problem. Unless I'm wrong about that, which I hope I am. I have downloaded OO 4.1.3 -- but I'm not holding my breath that the issue will have been dealt with in this upgrade.

My pressing problem is that I have a 300-page printed book that is virtually press-ready. I need 11 or 12 stable Slide files to incorporate into this volume. At least, stable long enough to create .pdf versions of them.

So, ... unless someone on this excellent Forum has a clear-cut, tried-true solution, I'm guessing I will have to move my project efforts to another tool/platform. Anyone?
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on MacOS 10.9.5
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

Did you read previous comments?
Vanished pictures can occurs with memory limit.