[Solved] Colors wrong on MacBook Air; Shortcuts for Mac?

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
justdfy

[Solved] Colors wrong on MacBook Air; Shortcuts for Mac?

Post by justdfy »

Too old for most of this modern stuff, ne'ertheless, with a new Macbook Air (10.12.4 Sierra) from Feb '17, I did download the latest OO 4.1.3 OK.

But, in 'DRAW' the colors are off. Some are OK, but lots are not near what their names suggest.

So, (not even knowing how to uninstall on this Macbook) would the colors problems be cured if I simply (ha!) uninstalled 4.1.3, and reinstalled it?

Or the obvious option failing that is to download another copy from here, yeah.

Another question;
Open Office SHORTCUTS in the Mac? Specifically to access the commands in the MENU?

Open Office; File; Edit; View; Insert; Format; Tools; Modify; Window; Help;

On my Toshi Windows Vista lappie, I had shortcuts to these down-pat.

(And only last night did I find some for Open Office and others on the Mac.)

But still can't locate how to shortcut/keystroke into the menu items as above.

Of course, I bet there's a page telling all here somewhere....

Any tips or links, please?

Cheers
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on (2006 model) Toshiba L300, using a later (2013?) L300's HDD w Windows7
robleyd

Re: colors wrong, un/reinstall or re-dnld 4.1.3? & MENU SHTC

Post by robleyd »

First, you might want to update your signature to reflect your current hardware and software - How to update your signature

Then, you might find [Tutorial] Mac FAQ a useful resource.

For keyboard shortcuts on Mac, see Mac keyboard shortcuts according to Apple.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
justdfy

Re: Colors wrong, un/reinstall or re-dnld 4.1.3? & MENU SHTC

Post by justdfy »

You're a Champion robleyd!

Thanks, on the updating my hardware/software info - success!

Will take me time to read up on install-unistall stuff, but great. Thanks.

I'll assume your 3rd link there, about shortcuts on OpenOffice, is covered in the Mac keyboard shortcuts link info? I'll have a look.

LATER: Went through the long list of Apple shortcuts, but find none on that specific question or, expected, on OO issues.

I'll see how I go in the OO tutes etc., about shortcuts to access the OO MENU items.

Much Appreciated.

Cheers again!

Cheers.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on (2006 model) Toshiba L300, using a later (2013?) L300's HDD w Windows7
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I don't have experience with a Mac, but in Windows or Linux one can use the underlined letter of a menu option with the Alt key to open that menu - see the image below. So to open the File menu, I press Alt + F. I imagine that the Mac would provide similar functionality, perhaps with Command or Option instead of Alt. This functionality would apply to all programs. See the link below the image - the preceding info is not relevant for Mac
Writer menu in Linux
Writer menu in Linux
[More googling] Or maybe not - this page courtesy of Apple, under Navigate menus with your keyboard suggests a way of, well, navigating menus with the keyboard 8-)

This is not specific to OpenOffice - it would apply to most software you use. If this is your first foray into the world of Apple PCs, you might see if you can get your hands on some sort of guide to Macs. Apple's support pages that I have linked seem to be useful - be not afraid to follow the links from those pages.
Last edited by robleyd on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
justdfy

Post by justdfy »

Couldn't find anything on the shortcut I'm after, of opening the menu on OO, to then effect the editing changes. But I found some useful stuff, as I wandered around.

The uninstall/reinstall stuff is too hard to understand now.
And still don't know if that would fix the poor colors thing?

For another day.

Cheers
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

I may have overlooked the obvious here - OpenOffice | Options | Customise | Keyboard Shortcuts.

As far as the display - I searched the Mac forum and found there were reports of graphics corruption from users with Retina screens - if you have a Retina one solution proposed was under Settings / Monitors / colors change the color profile to Apple RGB or General RGB profile.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

justdfy wrote:new Macbook Air (10.12.4 Sierra)
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q15/A15.
justdfy wrote:not even knowing how to uninstall on this Macbook
Q03/A03 and Q04/A04.
justdfy wrote:Or the obvious option failing that is to download another copy from here, yeah.
Q02/A02.
justdfy wrote:Specifically to access the commands in the MENU? Open Office; File; Edit; View; Insert; Format; Tools; Modify; Window; Help;
Those don't perform any actions. You need to use an item inside one of the menus to do anything. If you click on a menu, you'll see the actions on the left and the shortcuts on the right. Simply press the displayed shortcut to execute the action. If an action doesn't have an assigned shortcut you can create one with Tools → Customize. If you want to open a menu to see the shortcuts, click it. That's how Macs work. They are more dependent on the mouse. Get used to that if you are using a Mac. If you must use the keyboard you can press Control+F2 (Q10/A10) and then type the initial letter of the menu and press downarrow, but it's better to use the mouse. It is very difficult to use a Mac without one. The question suggests that you know little about Macs. Read the top paragraph of the tutorial.
justdfy wrote:I bet there's a page telling all here somewhere
OpenOffice → Help → Index → Shortcut keys
Finder → Help → Search → Shortcut
robleyd wrote:I don't have experience with a Mac, but in Windows or Linux one can use the underlined letter of a menu option with the Alt key to open that menu - see the image below. So to open the File menu, I press Alt + F. I imagine that the Mac would provide similar functionality, perhaps with Command or Option instead of Alt.
Macs don't work that way and never have. One should use the mouse.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
justdfy

Post by justdfy »

Massive! Thanks MrProgrammer for the time your took to put that all together!

I'll take all you offer there as GOOD, and finish this thread.

Going through AND ABSORBING, all you provide will keep me off the streets for a while!

Cheers.
robleyd

Re: Colors wrong, un/reinstall [SOLVED] & SHTCUTS?

Post by robleyd »

Macs don't work that way and never have.
I figured that after searching to find the shortcuts link I gave in the same post - I've edited my post.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15