[Closed] Document Recovery Survey

Talk about anything at all....
robweir

[Closed] Document Recovery Survey

Post by robweir »

Edit: NOTE: Survey is closed If you have issues with a document, please post in the relevant section of the forum. 
I've created a short survey related to document corruption issues, specifically the kind where the contents of a file is replaced by hash marks. The survey asks the user for information related to the circumstances of the issue, the machine configuration, OpenOffice settings, etc. The hope is that we can collect this information is a systematic way and narrow down the problem, giving the developers some useful information.

So when we run into this problem again, please ask the user to enter the details here:

http://survey.openoffice.org/index.php/334187/lang-en

This will be most useful for new reports going forward, where the user will have this information fresh in their mind. However, if you have a good recollection of a previous incident, you can enter the details for those as well.

Thanks!

-Rob
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed "Sticky" type from old topic about a closed survey
OOo 3.3.0 through AOO 4.0.1 on Windows XP/7/8/8.1 and Ubuntu 12.04
Apache OpenOffice Committer/PMC
acknak

Re: Document Recovery Survey

Post by acknak »

Make sure you get the summary that Hagar Delest has collected. He has an excellent list of the different scenarios we've seen with damaged files.

I can't say how pleased I am that some effort is going into addressing this!
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

+1.
Changed to sticky, hoping to remove it from stickies soon.
I'll add a link to this topic in my standard reply for the hashes topics.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Daiwe01

Post by Daiwe01 »

Have not looked at the survey.
Does it ask if AOO was still open when system was shut down?
See viewtopic.php?f=106&t=67018&sid=dff4730 ... a025513641
AOO 4.1.5 Win7Pro/2KPro/XP & *nix (But my heart is still VAX/VMS)
Arun.Silver

Post by Arun.Silver »

Hagar Delest wrote:+1.
Changed to sticky, hoping to remove it from stickies soon.
I'll add a link to this topic in my standard reply for the hashes topics.

Just completed and submitted the survey. Hoping for a solution soon...
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 8, 32 Bit
Intel Centrino
bwint@earthlink.net

Post by bwint@earthlink.net »

Twice now I have lost a text file when I had to shut down and restart Win 10 In both cases the file was closed beforehand. Last one, tonight was twelve pages and two week of writing. Is this a one drive issue or an open office issue? Any way to recover? bwint<at>earthlink.net
Open office 4.0 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Your best hope of recovery is to try and undelete any temporary file OpenOffice was using. As soon as possible do the following:

Download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it do an indepth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not). Do this as a first priority; other use of the computer may overwrite any existing but deleted files and prevent their recovery. There is no guarantee that you will recover anything useful.

Such file loss may happen because of over-hasty or improper close down of the computer; the OO file format is complex and takes slightly longer to write than a flat file. One should not (for OO file safety) hibernate a computer with open OO files; one should also use the formal shut down procedure or hibernate procedure and then wait a few extra seconds (ten ought be sufficient) for all disk activity to cease before powering off the computer. This allows time for the software and hardware write buffers to flush to disk - remember there are hardware write buffers within hard drives, so these must be given time to clear before power is removed.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS