Flow chart border

Discuss the drawing application
mattdope

Flow chart border

Post by mattdope »

Hi everyone! This may seem like a rather basic question but I don't know how to add a border to a flow chart I've created in Draw. On Open Office Writer it is possible to select 'frame' but I don't see this option in Draw. And it seems that Writer doesn't give me the same functionality as Draw! A simple border is all I need to go round the objects so that I can copy and paste directly on to another document.

Many thanks in advance!

Matthew
Openoffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Re: Flow chart border

Post by erbsenzahl »

Hi,

if you mean a border ("frame") for a single shape, so rightclick → choose line and edit.
If it is for a sample of shapes, so you may draw a rectangle (unfilled) around them, then I recommend (to select all and) to group them all. Then it is easy (copy/paste) to insert the group in a writer (or other) document. In most cases better than ungrouped.
For some special purposes proceed by (menu Edit or arrow next to paste icon) paste special as GDI metafile. Depends on the shapes etc. - but editing won't be as easy as a group; it then has changed its "character" and has been converted to curves.

cheers
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
mattdope

Post by mattdope »

Many thanks for your reply! Yes I'm having no problem grouping them, followed by a copy/paste into Open Office writer, but no border around the objects! And when I select 'line' then all it does is change the line around the individual objects. Oooft this program is driving me crazy!
mattdope

Post by mattdope »

I must be doing something extremely stupid as I can't believe it would be so difficult! All I need is a simple rectangle (with a black border) where I can put some objects to create a simple flowchart. I have everything except the black line/rectangle around my objects!
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Post by erbsenzahl »

Okay, your target is the writer document.

Options for borders:
  • Insert a frame (menu Insert) - paste your shape(s) and other objects into it - use the frame's border. The advantage of this proceeding is that the objects remain together like a group and only the frame should be moved within the page area. Mind the wrapping.
  • erbsenzahl wrote:If it is for a sample of shapes, so you may draw a rectangle (unfilled) around them, then I recommend (to select all and) to group them all. Then it is easy (copy/paste) to insert the group in a writer (or other) document. In most cases better than ungrouped.
    Edit line style and width while editing your rectangle in draw, after that group it, copy and paste in writer.
  • If it is for a sample of shapes, so you may draw a rectangle (no line, no filling) around them. The distance to the single elements may be more than simply touching. Insert in your writer document as GDI (or bitmap) then choose the given styles etc. for bitmap borders.
You may ask why the proceeding is more complicated than for simple bitmaps. In my opinion the single items of the shapes themselves have gotten borders, so there is no use to have some. Except of a sample or group... Then you can go the steeper way, there are some choices.
Jimmy Cliff on http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/jimmycliff/youcangetitifyoureallywant.html wrote:You can get it if you really want
But you must try, try and try, try and try
You'll succeed at last
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
mattdope

Post by mattdope »

OK thanks again and yes I like the song haha. I´ll try your suggestions!