[Solved] Controls don't have Data Tab

Creating and using forms
pruscoe

[Solved] Controls don't have Data Tab

Post by pruscoe »

I used the form wizard to create a form. All the controls were (apparently) added, but the only ones that have a "Data" tab are these for Date/Time format fields. I tried adding a control manually, and it still has the same issue. What am I missing?
Last edited by pruscoe on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10.
charlie.it
Volunteer

Re: Difficulty creating a form - controls don't have Data Ta

Post by charlie.it »

Ciao, attach your file here so we can see the problems better.
charlie
Italian AOO Admin
macOS 14 Sonoma M1: Open Office 4.1.15 - LibreOffice 7.5.7.1

http://www.charlieopenoffice.altervista.org
pruscoe

Post by pruscoe »

Here goes. It is a small database with only one newly-created form.
Attachments
DVDs.odb
(10.81 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Nocton
Volunteer

Post by Nocton »

I downloaded your file, but the table seems to be linked to/located in an external file on your computer so could not use it or the form.
OpenOffice 4.1.12 on Windows 10
pruscoe

Post by pruscoe »

Oh - you're right. That is ANOTHER problem I haven't solved --- how to take a Miscosoft Access database, and, using OO, create a native one, independent of the old one. This forum won't let me upload an MDB file (seems a bit petty to me) so I can't send you the Access original.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Open Office base will import the MS Access database.
Once you have it imported, save it as an Open Office Base file (.odb extension).
You will now have two databases. The one for MS Access and one for Open Office,
While the forum won't let you upload the MDB file, you can work around it by zipping the MDB file, then uploading the zip file or you can upload the MDB to a file sharing site (eg: Dropbox or MediaFire), then post a link to the uploaded file.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Yes, this database document is linked to the original MS Access file DVDs.mdb which is a good decision.
The wizard creates grouped pairs of labels and data aware controls. When you click on a control, you select the grouped pair and the properties dialog shows the common properties of both selected controls. Shift+Click selects one element. You should know that the form wizard is pretty stupid and you should know about the form navigator (5th button on toolbar "Form Design")
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
pruscoe

Post by pruscoe »

OK. Why is it a good decision to link to the original MDB? Regarding the rest of the response, the controls created by the wizard (and the ones I created manually) are not as you describe. Shift-Click does nothing, and click selects a box that comprises the name and what SHOULD be the control. But they are inseparable. The only exception is for date/time fields. (I'm perfectly happy creating my controls. i just wanted to use the wizard to get a head start.) I'll zip and attach the original MDB.
Attachments
DVDs.zip
(28.28 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Open the form for editing
menu:View>Toolbars>Form Design
Click the 5th button.
It shows the form collection with its forms, subforms and the form controls belonging to forms and subforms.
It does not show the individual form controls that are bundled in table grids. Click the column header to show the properties of these controls.

You don't set upcomplicated database backends and then change them every time when you are going to change the frontend. Base is just a frontend.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
pruscoe

Post by pruscoe »

Yes. Did that. I know how to edit forms. But the controls shown are NOT in a grid. And, to go back to my original point, when I look at the properties of ANY of the control (except type date/time) there is no "Data" tab. Are you able to open the database I uploaded, and see the form (there is only one?)
pruscoe

Post by pruscoe »

By the way, there are only FOUR buttons in the Forms Toolbar - Open, Edit, Delete, Rename.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The toolbar is named "Form Design"
pruscoe

Post by pruscoe »

I don't have that option. My choices are Form/Query/Report/Standard/Table/Customize. Where should focus be when choosing View > toolbars?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Villeroy wrote:Open the form for editing
menu:View>Toolbars>Form Design
Click the 5th button.
pruscoe

Post by pruscoe »

OK. "Open in Design Mode" I did that (I already knew how to do that.) Yes, it shows all the controls created by the wizard. But with the original problem. So I guess what you are telling me is "don't use the wizard at all. Instead, insert all the controls manually with the Form Controls toolbar, for example." That was what I was trying to avoid. The example I provided was a simple one. But the one I really care about right now has a LOT more database fields.
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

I haven't solved --- how to take a Miscosoft Access database, and, using OO, create a native one, independent of the old one.
Rather than creating an Embedded database with all the attendent issues, it's better to start with a split database. Go to
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=61183
and download the file Split_HSQLDB_2.3.2_Wizard_v3d.odb
Create a directory to hold your database, and copy/move the downloaded file into the new directory. Since that will be your entry point into your new database, you can rename the file to something like DVDs.obd. Open the new file and a macro will run and a dialog will open. Follow the recommendations in the dialog to establish the connections for your new database.
One by one drag and drop each of the tables from your misbehaving database into the new one. You will get a copy dialog for each file. Select Copy definition and data. I noticed your table DVDs may not copy correctly. On the Type formatting page of the dialog check that all the fields have the correct Field type particularly the Date and Time fields. Also, right click on the ID field to set the Primary Key. If the copy reports errors you will need to delete the new table and start over on that table. Double check the Field type settings. The dialog defaults all Text fields to 50 characters, so you may need to change that if your source table has more characters. Once the tables have all been successfully copied you should be able to begin using the new database.
As Villeroy pointed out the Form Wizard is very limited, but it can be used to add a large number of fields from a single table (i.e.DVDs). The wizard will allow you to add a single SubForm, but beyond that you will need to use the Form Navigator to add other SubForms and controls.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
pruscoe

Post by pruscoe »

Thank you all for your help. The one thing that still hasn't been addressed is my original question. Why didn't the Form Wizard create controls I could actually use (after any necessary editing?)
Nocton
Volunteer

Post by Nocton »

The one thing that still hasn't been addressed is my original question. Why didn't the Form Wizard create controls I could actually use (after any necessary editing?)
I have checked out your form, now that I have the mdb file, and find that all the controls DO have a Data tab. I think the problem maybe that when you just select a control you also by default also select its label so that clicking on Control gives the Properties of the 'Multiselection'. Instead, hold the Ctrl key down when selecting the field/control and then you will get the Properties of the text box or other control and the data tab will show.
pruscoe

Post by pruscoe »

I hate to mix my topics, but now I can't open the form in design mode! The button at the bottom labeled "Open in Design Mode" has no effect. So I can't try what you suggested.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Yes, Ctrl+Click is the correct action to select a member of a control group, not Shift+Click

This is how you call the forms navigator and select the single text box without its associated label:
axxilB.png
With a right-click on the grouped pair you can also ungroup the pair or enter the group.
Nocton
Volunteer

Post by Nocton »

but now I can't open the form in design mode! The button at the bottom labeled "Open in Design Mode" has no effect. So I can't try what you suggested.
Select 'Forms', right-click on the form name and select 'Edit'
pruscoe

Post by pruscoe »

Hooray! Thank you Villeroy and Nocton. The answer to my question (what am I doing wrong?) is "You're clicking, not CTRL-clicking!"