[Solved] Changing the default save destination (Mac Sierra)

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Richard Litson

[Solved] Changing the default save destination (Mac Sierra)

Post by Richard Litson »

I use Open Office and Dropbox on an iMac. I've only recently changed from PC to Mac. Whenever I save a document, the save box defaults to iCloud documents, a file which I never use. Convinced that this is a Mac issue, I contacted Mac support twice, and each time they told me that the default has to be changed in Open Office. I've checked OO help pages and can't find anything.

Does anybody know how to change the default save destination?

Many thanks.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
RoryOF

Re: Changing the default save destination (Mac Sierra)

Post by RoryOF »

Use the navigation buttons in the /File /Save as window to navigate to the desired directory. OpenOffice will remember the directory used for a file, so if you Save As from that file you start in its directory. You can change the default path settings in Preferences >Options > OpenOffice >Paths.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Richard Litson

Post by Richard Litson »

Thanks for your reply, Rory.

I suspect I'm making some very elementary error here, but I've saved hundreds of documents, each time navigating my way to the relevant file in Dropbox. The next time I save a document, I'm always shunted back to iCloud documents, so it seems to me that OO is not remembering the last directory.

I've also checked Preferences/Options/Openoffice/Paths and do not see there the destination I require.

Any further assistance would be much appreciated.
Open Office 4.1.3
Mac Sierra 10.12.5
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I cannot answer for Macs; using my Xubuntu systems the behaviour is as I outlined.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Have a look in the Paths settings - on Mac its somewhere under OpenOffice | Preferences, I believe.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Richard Litson wrote:Thanks for your reply, Rory.

I suspect I'm making some very elementary error here, but I've saved hundreds of documents, each time navigating my way to the relevant file in Dropbox. The next time I save a document, I'm always shunted back to iCloud documents, so it seems to me that OO is not remembering the last directory.
AOO does not remember the last location it saved files to. It always uses its default setting.
I've also checked Preferences/Options/Openoffice/Paths and do not see there the destination I require.
The default location for saving documents is the one listed beside "My Documents". (Mine is /Users/larry/Documents/AOO new documents/.)
You can edit it to any location you want. Personally, I always choose the location for each document I save. I save them to the relevant folder for that specific document.The default setting is useful for anytime I forget to choose the location.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

lgusaas wrote: AOO does not remember the last location it saved files to. It always uses its default setting.
I have corrected my previous posting: on my system, if I open a file, OO now knows where that file was Saved, and any Save As from that file is in the same directory. If a new file is commenced, the default location, as set in the Paths, is used.
Richard Litson

Post by Richard Litson »

Thank you, Larry. Got it. I'd seen Preferences/Options/OpenOffice/Paths/My Documents. I've now realised that I can change this destination using the 'edit' and 'default' buttons. This discovery will add years to my life.
Open Office 4.1.3
Mac Sierra 10.12.5