A.O.O. red lining common words

Discuss the word processor
Fred22

A.O.O. red lining common words

Post by Fred22 »

I have O.O. 4.1.1 on both my desktop and my laptop. Here's what I don't understand. I have a long list of names in my desktop doc. files. Not one name was marked as misspelled as I entered them. Then I put the file in my Dropbox, go to my desktop to print it off and several names were red lined as misspelled...even common surnames like Cassidy. Why would this happen if the doc. was originally made in 4.1.1 and opened in the same version on my desktop.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 ON Windows 10
RusselB

Re: A.O.O. red lining common words

Post by RusselB »

While no one, to my knowledge, has been able to determine why this happens, the common solution is to reset your user profile.
Start by renaming your OpenOffice user profile.

As you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer.
Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a good choice.
Start OpenOffice.

This cures most spellcheck problems.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Fred22

Post by Fred22 »

RusselB wrote:While no one, to my knowledge, has been able to determine why this happens, the common solution is to reset your user profile.
Start by renaming your OpenOffice user profile.

As you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer.
Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a good choice.
Start OpenOffice.

This cures most spellcheck problems.
Not only did it not work, but now the files on my desktop, which I fixed yesterday are red lined again. When I went to the appdata thing I had 2 folders...one user and the one I'd renamed Fred. I believe I then deleted Fred, but things are still messed up. I haven't even tried to export my file from my laptop via Dropbox yet, but I know what's going to happen. Can you please tell me what I should do now? I don't want to change the settings on my laptop b/c there is no redlining in the file...only on my desktop...help please.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In OpenOffice /Tools /Options /Language Setting /Languages s what language is selected in "Default languages for documents : Western"; is this same language (to the precise variety) shown in the centre of the Status Bar (bottom bar) in OO Writer in one of your red-lined documents?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Fred22

Post by Fred22 »

Okay, I have language settings and it says, "This is where you make settings concerning language and writing aids etc. but I don't see anything re "default languages". Where is this located?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Click the black triangle to the left of the "Language Settings" in the lefthand panel. Then make your settings in the windows that open when you click on each of "Languages" and "Writing Aids".
Fred22

Post by Fred22 »

RoryOF wrote:Click the black triangle to the left of the "Language Settings" in the lefthand panel. Then make your settings in the windows that open when you click on each of "Languages" and "Writing Aids".
Okay I have it. It says "Default - English USA next to "Western"...what now? (Actually I don't see a black triangle..more like a square with + in the middle).
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Some screenshots here: [Troubleshooting] Spell check in OpenOffice.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The black triangle may be specific to a linux version; the square with + in the middle may be the Windows version.
Fred22

Post by Fred22 »

Hagar Delest wrote:Some screenshots here: [Troubleshooting] Spell check in OpenOffice.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
Sorry but this issue has not been fixed.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Then tell us what is different from the screenshots.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Fred22

Post by Fred22 »

RoryOF wrote:The black triangle may be specific to a linux version; the square with + in the middle may be the Windows version.
Well I did as instructed: Tools, Options, Language Setting, etc. but didn't see "Default Languages for Docs." I did see that for writer and western? I believe that all language boxes said English - USA. there was also a box to be filled in which asked "what dictionary" but I didn't put anything there. I also uninstalled O.O. and then reinstalled from disc, but after that I got an error message "Fatal Error During Install" and all my doc's are still red lined. Now I don't mean the problem that I posted about here sometime ago when almost everything was red lined. This time most names weren't red lined but some common one's such as Haden, Cassidy and others were. Where do we go from here?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

US-doc.odt
Text with language attribute en-USA
(17.03 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Here are my settings within Writer

/Format /Styles and Formatting : press first icon from left, Right click on Default, select Modify, Font tab, Language English (UK) (blue ABC tick showing). OK out.

/Tools /Extension Manager, English spelling and hyphenation dictionary and thesaurus 20170.03.01 installed

/Tools /Options /Language settings /Languages : User interface default English (UK), Locale setting default English (UK), Default currency EUR € Irish [this won't affect spellcheck], Default Languages for Documents: Western English (UK) (blue tick showing)

/Tools /Options /Language settings /Writing aids : Writing Aids: Hunspell checker ticked, Language Tool ticked, LibHyphen hyphenator ticked, OpenOffice New Thesaurus ticked.

/Tools /Options /Language settings /Writing aids : User defined dictionaries : Business (all), soffice (all), IgnoreAlllist (all) all checked.

/Tools /Options /Language settings /Writing aids : Options: check spelling as you type checked, check grammar as you type checked [this last may be from Language Tool]

If you want a different variety of English, such as English (USA), substitute it in place of English (UK)

You may need to restart OpenOffice, including the OO Quickstarter, after making any of these corrections. I always suggest closing down computer and powering off after making such fundamental changes to a system.

On restart, open a new writer document. Is English(UK) shown to left of centre on status bar? If so, type dt then press F3. You get a screenful of text. greenbacks should be the only word flagged with a red wiggly underline, as far as I remember.

Note that the /Tools /Options paths will differ for Macs. I think /Options is under Preferences on a Mac.