Can OpenOffice Impress produce movie files ?

Discuss the presentation application
craigapache

Can OpenOffice Impress produce movie files ?

Post by craigapache »

Can OpenOffice Impress produce movie files similar to PowerPoint movie files?
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows
RoryOF

Re: Can OpenOffice Impress produce movie files ?

Post by RoryOF »

New extension to do this at Impress video converter

Macs not supported.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
craigapache

Post by craigapache »

I did download that extension. But I still cannot produce movies. Can you give exact directions for producing movies? Thanks
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I did download that extension. But I still cannot produce movies. Can you give exact directions for producing movies? Thanks

I tried this extension with my LibreOffice 4.4.7 and it works for me.

First you need to upgrade your OpenOffice 3.1 to the latest Apache OpenOffice or the latest 'Still' version of the LibreOffice.
(Or please update your signature in this forum.)

Download the WINDOWS version of the extension (if you really use Windows - as it appeared in your signature) Then you need INSTALL the extension after you downloaded it. (Use the Extension manager function.)

Restart the Office suite and then you will find the new function in the Impress application in the File menu:
File - Export as video
Last edited by Zizi64 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
craigapache

Post by craigapache »

Dear Sir
I verified that I DO have the latest version of Open Office. Actually I do now see this option: File - Export as video
I did do that but I don't see my movie output in my folder
What should I do now? Can one of your staff dial into my laptop to check what is happening?
Thanks
Craig
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As OpenOffice is a free product, there are no support staff. This is a User to User Forum, where users offer support on a pro bono basis in their own time. If you feel that the extension is not working correctly (or at all), you should attempt to contact its author; there may be a link on t he download page.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I verified that I DO have the latest version of Open Office.
Please update your signature in this forum. (User control panel - 'Profile' TAB - 'Edit signature' SUBTAB)
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Steve Dooley

Re: Can OpenOffice Impress produce movie files ? Solved

Post by Steve Dooley »

craigapache wrote:Dear Sir
I verified that I DO have the latest version of Open Office. Actually I do now see this option: File - Export as video
I did do that but I don't see my movie output in my folder
What should I do now? Can one of your staff dial into my laptop to check what is happening?
Thanks
Craig
I have the same problem as Craig - Export to Video in the file menu, choose file to export to, execute, message saying success, then no file! Did this ever get solved? Using OO4.1.3 and Windows 10.

Yes - don't have any spaces in the path.
Last edited by Steve Dooley on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I have the same problem as Craig - Export to Video in the file menu, choose file to export to, execute, message saying success, then no file! Did this ever get solved? Using OO4.1.3 and Windows 10.
Do not use white space or other special characters in the URL of the output file. I just tried it, and I got same issue when I used a filename like "Video 1" but it works with filename "Video1".
Steve Dooley

Post by Steve Dooley »

Thank you. It does work if there are no spaces in the path.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If, for clarity in a file name, one would like a space, a useful tip is to replace the space by an underscore Such_As_Here.
katnipped

Post by katnipped »

OpenOffice 4.1.7, Windows 10

I realize this is an old thread but I find the same problem in 2019. I am unable to successfully convert an OpenOffice Presentation (.odp) to a video.

File name is saved with no spaces.

Closed OpenOffice.

Downloaded Windows version of converter.

Opened OpenOffice.

Opened .odp file.

File, Export as Video.

Window Pops Up: Export as AVI. Asks "Number of Seconds Between Each Slide." Output Video File Name: _______ Execute

First, after spending hours on the presentation and timing it with the audio, why must I enter the number of seconds between each slide?

Second, the audio does not convert with the file. In fact, the first slide (where audio is added) doesn't even get included in the conversion.

Result, a video of the slides without audio, and a basic slide show.

Has anything been done to correct this? Would saving the file in a different format make a difference?

Signed,
Frustrated
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

First, after spending hours on the presentation and timing it with the audio, why must I enter the number of seconds between each slide?
With some presentations, you may want multiple slides to show while the same portion of the audio track is playing, thus you want the timing from one slide to another to be different from the timing of the audio track.
The opposite (multiple audio tracks for a single slide) is also an option.
I haven't used the converter specified, but I have used Zamzar to do many conversions, including .odp to .avi, and have been quite impressed with the results.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
katnipped

Post by katnipped »

Thanks for your reply. I tried Zamzar but .avi wasn't an option from my .odp file.
OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Apologies. I realize now that I converted to .swf using Zamzar, then to .avi using another program (one that was purchased), on my computer.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

katnipped wrote:First, after spending hours on the presentation and timing it with the audio, why must I enter the number of seconds between each slide?
Depends of your computer's capacity. If you don't customize this, you can have a too speed video.
katnipped wrote:Second, the audio does not convert with the file. In fact, the first slide (where audio is added) doesn't even get included in the conversion.
Audio is not supported but you have plenty of softwares to sonorize a mute video.
katnipped wrote:Frustrated
Feel free to involved and enhanced this extension.
HofProfit

Post by HofProfit »

What is needed to get the audio supported?
Windows10
OpenOffice 4.1.6
Mr.Dandy

Post by Mr.Dandy »

HofProfit wrote:What is needed to get the audio supported?
Certainly development skill with C++ language :)
OpenOffice 4.1.12 - Windows 10