[Solved] Trying to Record a Macro in Writer - Can't save

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
Ripley21

[Solved] Trying to Record a Macro in Writer - Can't save

Post by Ripley21 »

I've found plenty of help for how to record a macro, but it's not working for me. First I open a text document, then
Tools > Macro > Record Macro
... so far so good. Then I execute the steps I want to record, then click "Stop Recording".
Then... nothing. I never get a dialog box to save the macro. I've looked to see if it saved it automatically, but not finding anything.

I'm running Windows 10 Home version 1607 build 14393.1066 on an Asus Laptop.
JRE 8 version update 131 (build 1.8.0_131-b11).
Open Office 4.1.3.

I don't know if I'm missing something, doing some wrong, or what. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue May 02, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Trying to Record a Macro in Writer - can't save Macro

Post by Zizi64 »

Then I execute the steps I want to record
What steps? The macrorecorder can not record every activity. Use the Menu items instead of the short keys when you record a macro.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Ripley21

Post by Ripley21 »

YAY - that was it!!! The good news is you were right. The bad news is I guess I can't record a macro for what I want to do. What I'm trying to do is make changes to a series of images. It appears I must do it one image at a time... But at least I had hoped to record a macro to do it and run the macro again for each image. However, when I try to record a macro for
Format > Picture > Width .7"

I guess a macro can't do that. But at least I know it will work for some other things in the future. Thanks!
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

You must WRITE the macros instead of the recording them. Write your macros by usage the API (Application Programming Interface) functions.
Andrew Pitonyak's free books will help you: http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php
Last edited by Zizi64 on Tue May 02, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Ripley21

Post by Ripley21 »

Thanks, I will give that a try.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Ripley21 wrote:However, when I try to record a macro for Format > Picture > Width .7"
Change multiple images in writer - PicTool
I've learned recently about this extension. I have no personal experience with it but perhaps it will help and be simpler than learning how to write a macro. I suggest that it will take about two weeks for that, and more if you're not already a programmer.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Ripley21

Post by Ripley21 »

Awesome extension, thank you!! I am blown away by the help I've received, and quickly too. Thank you both so very much!