Corrupted file

Discuss the word processor
stoneroad

Corrupted file

Post by stoneroad »

Hi all,

I had a crash in the middle of saving a .odt file, and the file seems to me to be irreparably damaged. All of the text has been replaced by hash-tags. I looked at previous threads on this topic, and it looks like I'm probably SOL. I've tried saving it as a zip file, but my unzipping software doesn't recognize it as an archive. I've managed to recover a previous version of the file, but I've lost a few pages. Would someone be willing to have a look at the file and see if there's anything that can be done? Any other tips for recovering? Here's a link to the file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByF84 ... 2tmQUF3R0k

Thanks!
Craig
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Corrupted file

Post by Zizi64 »

I've managed to recover a previous version of the file, but I've lost a few pages.
Your file is damaged. You must retype the missing part.

In the future make time stamped backup copies more often.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=86742&p=406049
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Your file is full of nulls and there is no data in it.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. You should be able to recover your file as it was when you last opened it or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery.

You may also find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
stoneroad

Post by stoneroad »

Thank you both!
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7