Can Impress open a PowerPoint .pptm file and run the macros?

Discuss the presentation application
Dondean

Can Impress open a PowerPoint .pptm file and run the macros?

Post by Dondean »

Hi all.
I'm a total newbie to Apache OpenOffice and just downloaded and installed OO 4.1.3 (Actually, I installed only the Impress module).
I have created a PowerPoint (MS Office 2010) presentation containing macros (.pptm file) and want people who do not have PP to be able to run the presentation with the macros.
So I wanted to try and use Impress as a free alternative for them.
When I open the .pptm file in Impress, I do not see the macros and they do not run when I run the presentation.

So my questions are:
1. Does Impress support the opening of a PowerPoint .pptm macro file and allow editing of the macros?
2. If so, how does one see and edit the macros in Impress (Possibly there is a setting that I do not have right.)
3. And if (1) and (2) can be done, then will I need to make changes to the macro code in Inpress, in order for the presentation to work properly?

Thanks.
Don
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10 Pro
RoryOF

Re: Can Impress open a PowerPoint .pptm file and run the mac

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice may open the PowerPoint slides for display, but will _NOT_ run the macros as the underlying engine is different. OO macro programming is complex.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Dondean

Post by Dondean »

Thanks RoryOF.
Isn't the macro programming in OO based on Visual Basic, like MS Office macros are?
So wouldn't coding in both be very similar?
I'm curious as to why I can't see the PP macros in OO.

Don
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Dondean wrote:Isn't the macro programming in OO based on Visual Basic, like MS Office macros are?
No, it is a completely different basic
So wouldn't coding in both be very similar?
Hence, No.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The Basic (StarBasic) of the Apache OpenOffice _is_ a simple, pure programming language only. The AOO and the LibreOffice has a Basic IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for easy usage the Basic programming language.
The API of the AOO/LO is a function library. (API = Application Programming Interface). You can control the AOO/LO applications by usage the API functions.

The MS VBA of the MS Office suite is a combined 'IDE and API' for _one_operating system (Windows).

The AOO and the LO are multiplatform office suites. Therefore the API is a platform-independent, programming language-independent programming interface.
You can use the API functions on every supported operation systems, and you can use the API functions with various programming languages and environments.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Dondean

Post by Dondean »

Thanks for the added explanation Zizi64.
Would you say that AOO Impress can do pretty much anything that can be done in MS PP?

One other thing I'm curious about.
While I'm still getting familiar with the setup of Impress and how it works, I kept getting a message that I needed to install Java.
So I did, and now I'm wondering if Java is only needed when writing macros for Impress, or
will a Java environment also be required for anyone who runs an Impress presentation that contains macros?.

Thanks.
Don
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Would you say that AOO Impress can do pretty much anything that can be done in MS PP?
Try it. I do not know, what you want to achieve in AOO Impress, and I never used the PowerPoint. (I used only the Excel and the Word in the far past.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.