Are there size etc. limits to using a MailMerge object?

Creating a macro - Writing a Script - Using the API (OpenOffice Basic, Python, BeanShell, JavaScript)
owlbrudder

Are there size etc. limits to using a MailMerge object?

Post by owlbrudder »

I am using a MailMerge object to send emails to 300 recipients in a club I belong to (don't worry, it is not spam ...).

I ran the code for the first time last night and it crashed after about twenty minutes, after sending an unknown number of emails. I was able to identify a rough end point and tweaked a few hings before restarting. Again, it crashed after about twenty minutes.

The error message just said it was a crash and "There is no further information".

After a sleepless night (this is moderately urgent) I came to the conclusion I may be hitting a hard limit I don't know about. Perhaps disk space reserved for the job by LibreOffice? Perhaps a count of the number of documents sent? Perhaps a timing issue? I have Googled (as always) and found nothing relevant. If there is documentation of such limits, I obviously don't know where to look.

Is this a known bug? How can I debug a problem when the error message says "no further information"?

I am continuing to work on my code in hope I will find a gross stupidity, but have not found one yet.

Incidentally, the merge document contains no fields: the datasource - an .odb linked to a spreadsheet - is used purely for it's 'Email' column where the email addresses are stored (I bet you guessed that...). I am going to run a test using a query returning just the email column, rather than using the table with all its columns, in case that is fouling up the works, but don't hold out much hope of a cure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Doug
LibreOffice Version: 5.3.3.0
Fedora 26 Linux x86_64
Core i7, 8Gb
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Are there size etc. limits to using a MailMerge object?

Post by Zizi64 »

And what E-mail client software are you using? (The LibreOffice has not E-mail client function.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Does your service prover impose any limit on the number of emails that can be sent in a time period?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
owlbrudder

Post by owlbrudder »

Zizi64 wrote:The LibreOffice has not E-mail client function.
Er ... yes it does ... that's what the MailMerge object uses. :)
Fedora 26 Linux x86_64
Core i7, 8Gb
owlbrudder

Post by owlbrudder »

robleyd wrote:Does your service prover impose any limit on the number of emails that can be sent in a time period?
Good question - I will have to enquire. Thanks for the suggestion (shows how tired I am that I did not think of it first ...)
Fedora 26 Linux x86_64
Core i7, 8Gb