[Solved] Can't OpenOffice files

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
funduro

[Solved] Can't OpenOffice files

Post by funduro »

Hi all
Bit of a panic here - running Windows 10 and OO 4.1.2. Today, suddenly, I can't open any Open Office document!

W10 has not updated however I can open other files, but nothing of OO.

Any ideas?

Regards.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
open office 4.1.2 on windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Can't open office files - Panic!

Post by RoryOF »

Start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill all "soffice" processes shown on TM's Details tab (Processes tab on older Windows). Close TM and start OpenOffice; you should be able to open files using /File /Open. If they open that way, but not using a double click on the file, then tell us so we can sort that out also.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
funduro

Re: Can't open office files - Panic!

Post by funduro »

Many thanks Roryof. That fixed it. Phew!
I'm no techy but any ideas what caused that glitch? If it is involved then no worries I can live with the solution.
Cheers
open office 4.1.2 on windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Can't open office files - Panic!

Post by Hagar Delest »

It does not happen very often usually.
See if it occurs again, then there may be a glitch that prevents AOO from closing. Perhaps a security application. You can also deactivate the quickstarter if it is activated (right click the AOO icon in the system tray, where the Windows clock is in the taskbar).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Sometime if OO doesn't close properly, perhaps because a close window is hidden behind something else, or sometimes a system or program crash.
johnyb1

Post by johnyb1 »

The solution to the other Community Member provided by Roryof from Ireland also solved my issue... I am a total moron with computers... seriously... less able than a kindergartener... and I often am confused by abbreviations that are used here... e.g., AOO... I barely figured out that meant Apache OpenOffice... That is just how bad it is... so remember folks like us when you post... make it "moron proof" for me.... I may be the only one... THANK YOU TO ALL YOU SMART FOLKS... AND HATS OFF TO RORYOF. I also am of Irish descent so I'll have a pint in your honor. lol
openoffice 4.1.3
Windows 7
Blonde Granny

Post by Blonde Granny »

WOW! I am so impressed and feel so smart that I fixed my problem(same as fundoro's) myself,with your advice! I too, am a computer moron of Irish descent, and yet Roryof's instructions were easy for this old Grandma to follow. THANK YOU SO MUCH...YOU MADE MY DAY!

openoffice 4.1.1
windows 10
OPEN OFFICE 4.1.1 ON WINDOWS 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I think this may also happen if Windows 10 updates automatically when OpenOffice is open. I don't use Windows 10, so cannot say for certain.