Icon size not scaling up

Discuss the word processor
swhizzle

Icon size not scaling up

Post by swhizzle »

Hello, my laptop has a hidef display and OpenOffice displays the icons too small for me to see them easily. I am aware of the scaling option and the that I can select icon size. However, the icon size is the same with large or small selected; I have tried the other themes also but they don't get any bigger. I do not want to scale the program more as the text is perfect, only the icons need to be scaled.

Here is a picture of the problem:
http://i.imgur.com/qWTE0Xp.png?1
http://i.imgur.com/qWTE0Xp.png?1
It might be hard to appreciate in this picture, but it's quite difficult to make out the icons. It's a shame as OO does a great job with scaling apart from this.

Is there some sort of big icon theme I could install or another way to scale the icons?

Thanks in advance,
OpenOffice 4.1.3
Linux - elementary OS Loki
FJCC

Re: Icon size not scaling up

Post by FJCC »

I tried changing the icon size in Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice -> View and it had no effect until I closed and restarted OpenOffice. Have you tried that?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
swhizzle

Post by swhizzle »

FJCC wrote:I tried changing the icon size in Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice -> View and it had no effect until I closed and restarted OpenOffice. Have you tried that?
Hello,

Yes I have restarted OS and rebooted also; no luck! :(
OpenOffice 4.1.3
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Just to clarify, the Scaling setting under User Interface options does not apply to icon size. The icon size can be set to "Small" or "Large" and changing the setting becomes effective after restarting OpenOffice. There is no scaling below, between or above those two settings.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
swhizzle

Post by swhizzle »

Bill wrote:Just to clarify, the Scaling setting under User Interface options does not apply to icon size. The icon size can be set to "Small" or "Large" and changing the setting becomes effective after restarting OpenOffice. There is no scaling below, between or above those two settings.
Understood. In that case then, my problem is better expressed as: The icon size doesn't change despite selecting "large" or "small", they stay the same and I would like to increase their size.

Thanks,
OpenOffice 4.1.3
sirjames

Post by sirjames »

I have this icon scaling problem too. I have a new PC and Dell HD monitor, after old one died. Downloaded OO 4.7.1 and experienced blurred text. Trouble shoot through W10, changed settings and text now clear but icon size through 'options' does not scale to a usable size (Menu text does). Tried everything my feeble mind can muster. Any help much appreciated.
Openoffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10. 64bit 3 Ghz with Dell monitor resolution 3840 x 2160
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Downloaded OO 4.7.1
There is not such version today. That is 4.1.7.

I suggest you: try the LibreOffice.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Works fine for me (with a portable version of AOO on my Windows 10 machine):
Toolbars.png
You can try to reset your OpenOffice user profile and try again.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
sirjames

Post by sirjames »

Zizi64 wrote:
Downloaded OO 4.7.1
There is not such version today. That is 4.1.7.

I suggest you: try the LibreOffice.
Thank you, of course there is no such version, it's 4.1.7. stupid mistake :knock: . I have not tried LibreOffice, as I am used to OO, but may have to as last resort.
Openoffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10. 64bit 3 Ghz with Dell monitor resolution 3840 x 2160
sirjames

Post by sirjames »

Hagar Delest wrote:Works fine for me (with a portable version of AOO on my Windows 10 machine):
Toolbars.png
You can try to reset your OpenOffice user profile and try again.
Thank you, tried this with no change, I'm wondering if the monitor may be the problem.

Cant understand why the correction of the text blurring means the icon size becomes too small on it's largest setting.