Creating a white image

Discuss the drawing application
babymable

Creating a white image

Post by babymable »

Ok I need some help. I made a design for a customer in navy blue but she also wanted the same thing but done in white so she could print it on a dark coloured t-shirt. I created a drawing and changed the background to black so I could see the font, I then changed all the font to white and deleted the black background leaving a white page as I obviously can't see the font as it's white. I exported it as a jpeg and then tried opening the jpeg just to make sure it would work but when I opening the jpeg against a black background the entire page turns white. So I then opened up the original file and use the colour replacer to replace the white background to transparent but it's not givng me the option. This is the first time I have ever tried making a white design so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, can any one help.
Last edited by babymable on Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.0 Windows Vista
keme
Volunteer

Re: Creating a white image

Post by keme »

If you export an entire drawing to an image file, the paper color will also be exported. Select all content (ctrl+A) before you export. That should bring up a checkbox in the file export dialog: export selection only. Tick that, and select an image format which supports transparency (png does, jpg doesn't).

Do you have hardware which will output white ink? "Homebrew" iron-on sheets for standard printers will not help much...
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
babymable

Post by babymable »

Thank you so much for that. I didn't realise that jpeg doesn't support transparency so thanks for telling me. I'm not actually printing it out for her she purchased a digital file in navy colours which I have done already but then she asked about a white version as well. I believe she is getting a commercial company to print the shirts for her as it's for a Hockey team.
Open Office 4.1.0 Windows Vista
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Professional transfer may require/prefer vector images. Export to svg and/or eps as well, and perhaps even pdf. (Some transfer shops do not accept "raw" vector files, and will ask you to convert svg/eps to pdf. I'm not sure why...) Advise your customer to consult the transfer business about preferred graphics format.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Never use JPG for anything except a photo or a painting and definitely not for anything with text. See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It all depends on how it is being printed. If by silk-screen (serigraphy) the same image/silk-screen will do for any colour, as serigraphy is one of the few printing processes that will print opaque white. The printing company should be able to advise if a second image is required.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS