Lost document

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
nikkihiggins1

Lost document

Post by nikkihiggins1 »

Help! I lost a very important document. When I try to open it, a box opens that says "ASCII Filter Options". When I think I chose the correct filter, a bunch of #### show up. I have tried numerous times and numerous options. Please let me know if you've seen this before and how I can try to recover it. It was in RTF. Thank you!
OpenOffice 3.1
RoryOF

Re: lost document

Post by RoryOF »

Your file is badly damaged, probably beyond useful repair.

As soon as possible do the following:

Download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it do an indepth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not). Do this as a first priority; other use of the computer may overwrite any existing but deleted files and prevent their recovery. There is no guarantee that you will recover anything useful.

Do the above soonest! Do not wait for anything else - there is little prospect of recovering anything from your file, so do this NOW!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Re: Lost document

Post by Hagar Delest »

See: [Tutorial] The Dreaded Pound Signs: file reduced to ####.
Good luck.

Do you still use OOo 3.1 (your signature)?

I hope you had backups.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
neuropiggy

Post by neuropiggy »

I believe something happened with OO between March 7-9, because there are three posts with similar complaints, and I too lost an important file to ### on March 7 :-(
Open Office 3.1
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. You should be able to recover your file as it was when you last opened it or as it was when last saved with AutoRecovery. You may also find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located but which have since been deleted.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

neuropiggy wrote:I believe something happened with OO between March 7-9, because there are three posts with similar complaints, and I too lost an important file to ### on March 7 :-(
That is not the case. It is just that it unfortunately happened to you, and also unfortunately happened to other people - there are millions of users. Nothing in AOO changed around that date.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

neuropiggy wrote:I believe something happened with OO between March 7-9, because there are three posts with similar complaints, and I too lost an important file to ### on March 7 :-(
These occurrences are coincidence; there are no, repeat _NO_, secret OpenOffice upgrades. It is most likely these corrupted files were caused through improper closure of the OO files or over-hasty close down of the computer before the essential housekeeping information had been written to disk from the hardware/software write buffers.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS