Windows doesn’t recognize usb devices

Talk about anything at all....
parjas

Windows doesn’t recognize usb devices

Post by parjas »

Error: “USB Device not recognized” when i am trying to access a USB external hard drive. How to resolve this issue , i have followed this guide (Usb not recognized) but couldn't understand.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Windows doesn’t recognize usb devices

Post by floris v »

Strictly speaking, this is off-topic.

This is not a problem related to OpenOffice but of Windows, or of the USB device. If the USB device is defective, you can't use it. Try to connect it to another computer, if that doesn't recognize it as well, it's probably something with the USB device. For instance, a memory stick may have a damaged memory chip. If it can connect to another computer, something is wrong with the USB drivers on your Windows computer. In that case, ask a knowledgeable person to help you.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

While I agree with floris v that this question is off topic for the OO forum, I make one suggestion: I have found that sometimes a USB device, not recognised on hot-plugging, will be recognised if the computer is rebooted with that device already plugged in.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Has the device driver for the USB stick been properly installed?

Prove whether the USB stick works by using Windows to copy a test file to and from it. Do the files copy OK?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
amandanunes

Post by amandanunes »

Have you tried using that USB in any other device to check whether is it working?
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
bitcohen

Post by bitcohen »

This worked for me:
1. Plug in the device to the USB port
2. Open Device manager, "Universal Serial Bus Controller"
3. Right click "Unknown USB Device", then click properties; a window should pop out
4. Go to device tab, and disable the device.
5. Click enable to turn it back on. It should give you a notification that usb is connected

This might differ for everyone because what happened to me was my USB 3.0 port was overheating. To protect my flash drive from short circuiting, the device manager refuses to connect it. If this is happening to you, make sure your usb is cooled down.
Windows 10 Office 4.1.1
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

bitcohen wrote:This worked for me:
... my USB 3.0 port was overheating. To protect my flash drive from short circuiting, the device manager refuses to connect it. If this is happening to you, make sure your usb is cooled down.
Good point. However, it is unusual that a flash drive overloads the port. Does the drive connect through a USB hub, perhaps with multiple devices attached?

The origin of this thread was about using a USB hard drive, so it is not unlikely that excessive heat or power drain is the cause. When a disk drive (hard drive or CD/DVD drive) is connected, more power is required from the USB port, so overload is more likely. Also, phones and other powered devices will try to charge batteries when connected. On some portable computers there are ports designated for this kind of "power hungry" devices. Usually indicated with a disc icon or spark/lightning beside the USB logo.