[Solved] Cannot edit base records

Discuss the database features
Pedroski55

[Solved] Cannot edit base records

Post by Pedroski55 »

Hi, I am using Libre Office 5.1.6.2

I have a db for each class, just 2 columns, name and student number. The data was imported from a LO spreadsheet. Now a girl has left, a new girl has come. I want to edit the records.

I cannot edit anything. The only way around I have found is edit the spreadsheet, then make a new db from that spreadsheet.

When I create forms, the buttons which say 'don't edit existing records' are not clicked, so I should be able to edit, but I cannot.

What have I got to do to make the db editable please?

Thanks for any tips!
Last edited by Pedroski55 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libre Office 5 on Ubuntu 16.04
charlie.it
Volunteer

Re: Cannot edit base records

Post by charlie.it »

Ciao, you have to add a new field like primary key. A integer numeric field is better.
charlie
Italian AOO Admin
macOS 14 Sonoma M1: Open Office 4.1.15 - LibreOffice 7.5.7.1

http://www.charlieopenoffice.altervista.org
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Did you actually import spreadsheet data into a database or did you connect Base to the spreadsheet? See left side of the status bar.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Pedroski55

Post by Pedroski55 »

I‘m not really sure, I went to 'connect to an existing database' then 'spreadsheet'.

If I start a new database, I do not know how to import the data for each class and I don't want to enter around 250 names and numbers by hand. Any tips there?
Pedroski55

Post by Pedroski55 »

I think I found the answer:

I needed a Primary key in my spreadsheet file, just 1 to 41 or whatever.
Then, in dbase make a new table in design mode.
Make 3 fields: id, name, number
Close the new table.
In the dbase click the tables option on the left.
I can see my new table.
DO NOT OPEN THAT TABLE!
Just select it.
Copy the data from the spreadsheet.
In dbase click Edit>Paste.
done!!

I think I kept opening the table and then trying to paste data in, that was the problem.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Base is not Jesus. It won't turn your spreadsheet into a database. You can not edit any spreadsheet data in Base. You mentioned dBase. Base can edit dBase, and as an exception to the rule, it can edit dBase even without primary key.
THE STATUS BAR AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR BASE WINDOW shows the actual connection to the data source. Base can be connected to a spreadsheet or a directory of plain text files (not editable at all), a dBase directory (always editable) or some kind of "true database engine" (editable according to given user priviledges and primary keys).
A special case of "true database engine" is the "embedded HSQL" which is shipped with OpenOffice. This connection type is editable by one user at a time and if the table has a primary key.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice