[Solved] The document "myReport" could not be opened

Discuss the database features
dsh2008

[Solved] The document "myReport" could not be opened

Post by dsh2008 »

Hi,

I have been using Base for a number of databases over the last six months. Each has approx six reports generated from the populated data for each DB. These worked up until a few weeks ago but now when I try to re-open them I get the error "The document "myReport" could not be opened". This is happening for all reports, for all DB's. I can't edit the reports either, and the report menu option won't launch the Report Window (Insert->Report), so even if I wanted to painstakingly recreate the reports, I can't.

The reports are pulling from Queries, which still work

From what information I could find, I thought this might be an issue with the Java Runtime Env, so I've taken a number of approaches (in the following order) to try to resolve this, but without success.

1) Updating from OO 4.1.2 to 4.1.3 using JRE 8
2) Removing JRE 8 and reinstalling JRE 7, and trying this with 4.1.3
3) Uninstalling 4.1.3, reverting to 4.1.2 and running with JRE 7

Could anyone offer alternatives suggestions? Or is even anything to do with JRE? I'd really like to avoid having to switch programs to get around this

Regards
David
Last edited by dsh2008 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows Vista Prem SP2 32bit
Sliderule
Volunteer

Re: Base Reports - "The document "myReport" could not be ope

Post by Sliderule »

David:

I am not entirely clear, based on your words, whether you are ONLY having a problem generating Reports, OR, if you are having a problem being able to see a table's data, or, run a Query.

If, you can see your data in a Query, or, by clicking on a table, then, the problem is NOT JRE, since you are connecting to the database successfully.

¿ What is your database back-end ?

Is it: ¿ an Embedded Database, an external database, for example, HSQL, H2, MySQL, SQLite, Microsoft Access, PostGRE, Firebird, etc?

Please see the link below, and, if you download the sample database from the link below, ¿ can your OpenOffice programme run the reports?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=87802&p=412258#p412258

I hope this helps, please be sure to let me / us know.

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your 1st post Subject (edit button top right) if this issue has been resolved.
dsh2008

Post by dsh2008 »

Hi - thanks for your reply. Apologies for the lack on info provided.

It is ONLY the report generation. Both creating a new report or trying to open/editing existing reports. I can open and view tables and also run the queries that are feeding the reports - this work OK.

All the databases are embedded (I think as I am not that experienced) - very similar to the sample one you provide in the link ( 3 tables, about a dozen queries, and half a dozen reports in each).

I have downloaded the sample and tried to the open the reports and unfortunately I am experiencing the same issue - e.g. a pop up saying "The document "WorldAreaReport - By Area" could not be opened", with no further information. As mention before the "Insert->Report ..." filemenu option also fails to load the Report Designer UI.

Kind regards,
David
Sliderule
Volunteer

Post by Sliderule »

David:

Please confirm, you have as an installed Extension . . . Oracle Report Builder .

Perform these steps:
  1. Start your OpenOffice Suite
  2. From the Menu: Tools -> Extension Manager...
  3. ¿ Do you see listed . . . Oracle Report Builder 1.2.1 ?
  4. If NOT, download and install it ( Oracle Report Builder ) from:

http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pro ... rt-builder
I hope this helps, please be sure to let me / us know.

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your 1st post Subject (edit button top right) if this issue has been resolved.
dsh2008

Post by dsh2008 »

Hello Sliderule,

You are correct that the extension was not installed. I must have been using this without knowing it - I thought I was using just the standard in-built Report Builder.

However when I try to download & install the extension through the Extension Manager I get the following error :
=============================================
Extension (s) Add:
C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\uno_packages\Cach\uno_packages\sv11t27.tmp_\oracle-report-builder.oxt
does not exist
============================================

I googled and came across a thread citing something similar
http://openoffice.2283327.n4.nabble.com ... 80919.html

Does this mean I need to revert back to Open Office pre 4.0 to get this to work? TBH, I thought I was using 4.1.2 when this was working before for me??

Kind regards,
David
Sliderule
Volunteer

Post by Sliderule »

From the link I gave you above . . . to download the extension, click on . . . Download Extension ( green ) button.

After it is downloaded to your computer . . . click on it, ( the downloaded file ) to install it.

If you want, you can send me a PM ( Private Message ) . . . and . . . perhaps privately work on it together.

Sliderule

dsh2008

Post by dsh2008 »

Hi Sliderule,

Further to our PM conversation. I got this working on another windows 8 machine which indicates there is something amiss on my Vista machine. All the original database reports work on the Windows 8 machine but not the Vista machine

However on the Vista machine I then tried manually copying oracle-report-builder.oxt to the directory indicated in the error I was getting in my above post (after creating the directory)

C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\uno_packages\Cach\uno_packages\sv11t27.tmp_\

This has worked and now reports are again working on the VIsta machine also

Thanks for your help and for pointing me in the correct direction.

Kind regards,
David