ASCII Filter Options?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Spongey444

ASCII Filter Options?

Post by Spongey444 »

I've run into this problem before. I click on a file and i get this ASCII Filte Options Box and when i clock okay, ##'s replace my whole file. But this time I've caught on and want to know if there's anything i can do to save this file. Note that I had not opened in a couple days and every other file on my computer, even ones i opened more often open fine. Sometimes this happens if i reboot while the file is open or something like that but this is not the problem. File is .odt and I use seem to use Open Office 4. I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff so forgive me I'd left anything our or seem like a noob.
Open Office 4 on Windows 10
acknak

Re: ASCII Filter Options?

Post by acknak »

Sorry, this usually means that the file is damaged.

More background and some suggestions can be found here:

[Tutorial] The Dreaded Pound Signs: file reduced to ####
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=84056
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: ASCII Filter Options?

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. You should be able to recover your file as it was when you last opened it or as it was when last saved with AutoRecovery. You may also find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located but which have since been deleted.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.