Notes Spacing

Discuss the presentation application
Steve5

Notes Spacing

Post by Steve5 »

I have notes (more like key words) written with empty lines in between lines of text so I can see them better. But when I run the slide show - with a second monitor so I can see my notes on my laptop - the notes are all bunched together without the empty lines that I put there (I also have some words written in red, but the red is not coming out).

Yes, I hit enter after each line of text to create that empty line. And I tried putting in two empty lines. Doesn't work.
And no, using bullet points didn't work either.

So how can I get my notes to appear as I have them written, with the empty lines?

I hope I'm not going to be told that each line has to have it's own "text box." That would be ridiculous to say the least.

This is happening in Open Office and Libre Office.

Thanks.
Libre Office 6.4.7.2, Open Office 4.1.10, Windows (ugh) 10
RoryOF

Re: Notes Spacing

Post by RoryOF »

I made a quick test: a <space> newline or * newline
holds the "blank" *(i.e. spacing) line.

My memory is that Impress Notes do not display any formatting.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

Didn't work. But I put in a . (a period) in that blank line. Not perfect but it's simple and it'll work.

Should point out that I'm using Libre Office, not Open Office.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Rechecked: <space> newline certainly works on OO 4.1.3 on Xubuntu

You should change your Forum .sig (User Control Panel link at top left of Forum window).
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

I tired it in OO, put in <space> (in the empty line) with and w/o "newline" and it didn't work.

Are questions about Libre Office allowed on this message board?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Are questions about Libre Office allowed on this message board?
Certainly - see the blurb at the top of the forum pages which says

"User community support forum for Apache OpenOffice, LibreOffice and all the OpenOffice.org derivatives"
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

Oh, thanks.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

To give you the spacing you require, then use a full stop newline, or perhaps | newline, which might be less obtrusive.
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

I put in | newline at the end of a line, below a line, didn't work. That text appeared in the slide show. So I'll stick with using a period to create my "empty" line.

I don't understand why they allow you to do all kinds of formatting - font, color, indenting - all kinds of fancy formatting you can do in Writer (or Word), when A) it won't appear that way in the slide show and B) who needs all kinds of fancy formatting in the notes?

Sure, they can give you the option to change font and font size in the Notes screen, so we can see what we're typing better. And I don't have a problem that the formatting doesn't follow through to the slide show (you can enlarge the font in the slide show). But when you hit enter twice after a line (or word) of notes, and type another line, that empty line should follow through to the slide show. It shouldn't be this complicated to add an empty line.

You'd think users would want to separate text in the Notes screen, but they don't let you do that. But they will allow you to create fancy formatting which won't show up the slide show. Does that make sense? (I know, they do that so users can print out their Notes. Ok, fine. Then allow me to add an empty line by hitting enter, twice.)

They should also allow at least the color red (font) to follow through to the slide show so a word or words stick out.

I also don't understand the text boxes. There should already be one big text box there when you click into the Notes screen - that's what the Notes screen is there for. Click in the box and start typing. The way it is now, you have to hit the T icon and enlarge the box. Why? And why be allowed to create additional text boxes?

Also, these boxes move all over the place. And why allow them to be made bigger or smaller? It should be just one big text box that does not move. What's the point of a moveable text box? It's not as if you shift the box to the right the text will wind up on the right side of the screen during the slide show. And who'd want that anyway?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try the attached sample file - I'm only dealing with the "blank" line in the notes.
Attachments
fred.odp
(694.3 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

Thanks, but still don't understand. There was only one empty line in your slide - after fourth line ("After a * newline).
Put it this way:

Text of notes
Text of notes

If I want an empty line in between those two lines, what goes after or in between those two lines? Whatever it is, putting a period in the middle would be easier. Heck, hitting enter twice after the first line would be easier than that.

The fact that we've had to spend this much time on something like this says it all.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

On my OO 4.1.3 the Presenter Console Note and the tabbed notes page shows

Code: Select all

This is a note
After a blank line
After a *newline

After <space> newline
|
After | newline
If my file does not show up in that way on your Presenter Console or on your tabbed notes page, then there is some difference between OO on linux and on Windows and you'll just have to use whatever workaround works for you.