[Solved] Paragraph styles change spontaneously

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
ndyer1

[Solved] Paragraph styles change spontaneously

Post by ndyer1 »

I too suffer from spontaneous paragraph styles changes. I recently upgraded to 4.1.2 and experienced 2 actions which are stubborn and interfering: Every time i hit the carriage return while typing in the 'text body' paragraph style, the paragraph above switches to 'Hanging Indent' paragraph style; while the paragraph below goes to text body. I have never used 'Hanging indent' intentionally, and tried to delete it, but it is protected base. Why why would OO do this? To maintain formatting i must go back to each and every paragraph and reset it as 'text body'.
The second such 'feature' concerns Register True. It ignores my paragraph style spacings below, and sets an unacceptably wide gap between paragraphs (increasing the length of my document by +153 pages !!) So, the solution is simple, right; uncheck the register true box in the paragraph styles 'indents & spacing' tab. Wrong, as this is a most temporary solution. Every day i re-open the document, and register true is turned back on for 'text body' ( and many other styles, perhaps all) And my document grows in length unacceptably. Can the choice of unchecking 'register true' be made persistent? Can register true be permanently shut off?
These 2 problems did not exist in previous versions of OO.
Thank you for your kind attention in these matters.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista
esperantisto
Volunteer

Re: Assigned paragraph styles change spontaneously! :oops:

Post by esperantisto »

Just create your own template with the styles modified or newly created that would suit your needs and use the template for further work either via File → New → Templates or by making it the default template.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
ndyer1

Post by ndyer1 »

Yes, i did make a new template with only my applied styles, and checked it to make sure hanging indent was not even listed. But still this spontaneous change of styles problem persists. Also, the register true problem persists. Is there some command code to reset, stop or correct these?
Thank you esperantisto.
Norm
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

It sounds like in the Organizer tab of the default style the Next Style is set to hanging indent
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

This sounds similar to the "Apply Styles" AutoCorrect option, but that option applies the Text body style to the previous paragraph, not the Hanging Indent style.

Edit: After testing, I found that the Apply Styles option will change the style of the previous paragraph to the Hanging indent style if the paragraph has a hanging indent.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Bill wrote:This sounds similar to the "Apply Styles" AutoCorrect option, but that option applies the Text body style to the previous paragraph, not the Hanging Indent style.

Edit: After testing, I found that the Apply Styles option will change the style of the previous paragraph to the Hanging indent style if the paragraph has a hanging indent.
That sounds more likely than my suggestion. I had forgotten there as such a thing as "Apply Styles" in Autocorrect. Not something I am likely to use.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
EdIsenberg

Post by EdIsenberg »

I want to thank those of you who figured out the problem: I didn't realize I also needed new page styles. Once I fixed that everything began working well. I'd also like to apologize for the delay in sending this to you all. I'm disabled, in a lot of pain most of the time, and my wife is also disabled and having chronic pain. I also apologize for not reading reference material. I tend to use on-line help, but that is one thing that I believe is inferior to other Office products. Time after time there will be no entry at all for the subject I'm interested in. Usually, though, there's very little help, and this was one example.

Thanks again!
Edward D. Isenberg
MS Windows 10
OOo 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.2.7.2
ndyer1

Post by ndyer1 »

I am on 4.1.2, looking for Applied Styles in AutoCorrect. Apply Styles box was unchecked (off); Replace Custom Styles was unchecked (off). And i cannot find anything else in Localized Options. All language options are set to English-US. In reading other comments, seems like if the language is set differently, then more options may appear.

Still having frequent auto resets to turn ON Register True; a pain. I am still looking for a way to shut off Register True. Anybody know how?

In a given .odt file, is there a record of the template which was used to initiate it? It would be nice if on the Bottom Bar the template name was also posted (optionally). That would remind the writer which Styles Set he is on. And would also help to remind which are updated/not updated style sets.

Thanks to all. Norm
ndyer1

Post by ndyer1 »

A hint as to the cause of the Register True problems: The window: Paragraph Style: Default / FONT tab / Typeface:
thuong nghieng dam... (instead of: regular italic bold ... ) Language: English USA
Looks like anglo-letter vietnamese to me. Just guessing.
Why?
smiles,
Norm
monaco

Re: [Solved] Paragraph styles change spontaneously

Post by monaco »

I had this problem too.

There's ANOTHER switch for "register true" in the page formatting. If that is on, it'll keep turning itself back on in your paragraph formatting as well (like text body.)
OPen Office 4.12 on Windows 10