How did I fix my ODT file

Discuss the word processor
joana_avi_lorie

How did I fix my ODT file

Post by joana_avi_lorie »

Hello everyone! I have been trying to read all the ways to recover broken .otd files but I got confused and I would like to kindly ask for your help. When my computer ran out of battery it shit down and I didn't backup what I did yesterday that was a lot. There are almost 60 pages of my manuscript in risk and if you could help me recover I really appreciated... So, the files open with an error saying they were blocked by user and the temporary files for each one of them still show in the paste. When I tried to open them for read only it came with just ##### on the text. I gave it a try on a solution on this post, the one about turning the document into a zip file and then extract the content on wordpad. What happen was, for the first file I tried this procedure, only one sentence from the text appeared on the wordpad content. For the second one, a error message popped saying the zip file was invalid and couldn't open.

Do you have any particular solutions for my situation? Does this mean they're lost for good? I just don't want to spend money for someone to tell me there's nothing to do, or waste my time around instead of starting to rewrite everything since I have a deadline next Friday...

Thank you so much in advance! Cheers!
Joana
Open Office 4.1.1
Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: How did I fix my ODT file

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

See: [Tutorial] The Dreaded Pound Signs: file reduced to ####.
Few chances to get the file back but it's worth spending some time on it. Except if you have a recent backup.
Good luck.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: How did I fix my ODT file

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. You should be able to recover all or most of the file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.