########.......

Discuss the word processor
playgirlc

########.......

Post by playgirlc »

so, my 16pp document was all good, but my laptop froze and i had to do a hard reboot. nothing that strange, i have to do it every now and again :/

so i reboot, go to reopen my calc and writer documents (in that order). when i go to open the calc doc, i can't remember now, but, as always the window to restore the document(s) come up, and i go ahead with that. then it's asked me something about fonts... sorry, memory fart, i'm sure it asked me to update before this, or something.

nothing wrong with the calc document, and i do what i need to do before going back to edit my 16ppt writer document. again, i'm asked to chose a font, or whatever it is, and i go with the default. I open the document and get 16pp of:

#########################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################

now what....?
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: ########.......

Post by RoryOF »

Your file is lost utterly - upload it to a file sharing site and post the URL here if you wish someone to have a look at it, but expect nothing.

As soon as possible do the following:

Download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it do an indepth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not). Do this as a first priority; other use of the computer may overwrite any existing but deleted files and prevent their recovery. There is no guarantee that you will recover anything useful.

Do the above soonest! Do not wait for anything else - there is little prospect of recovering anything from your file, so do this NOW!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
playgirlc

Post by playgirlc »

thanks, Rory, I will try that and come back and let you know.

thanks for answering so quickly.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

The #### means your file is full of zeros - it (literally!) has nothing in it.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. You should be able to recover all or most of the file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
playgirlc

Post by playgirlc »

Thanks, John, I will try that, still doing the Recuva scan at the moment, but, again, thanks. I'll come back and let you know how it goes.
Volch

Post by Volch »

I welcome! For me a problem is with a file .odt! Can not I in any way find a forum with a professional help on OpenOffice.org 4.1.3 Writer, where it would be given help me in a problem on renewal of file?
OpenOffice.org 4.1.3 WINDOWS XP \ SP-3 \ 2011 (win32)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The instructions are given regularly in the Forum and, indeed, earlier in this thread. Follow them - they are what any person who attempts file recovery will do. Your file is damaged beyond repair - the #### signs indicate that. Your best hope is undeletion: read John_Ha's posting above and follow its advice.
Volch

Post by Volch »

I had a small glitch in the operating system, while working in a text editor. I saved the file. However, after the system restart, the file open stopped normally, but only by offering a set of codes, such as "(DOS / OS2-855)". Lost 45 pages of text. And now all the text in any of the proposed codes, opens in this form - ######################. I need to regain a normal appearance of the text. Conventional file recovery measures have not helped.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Much experience on the Forum tells that there is nothing in your file. Use the recovery methods set out by John_Ha; if they don't find anything then there is nothing to recover. Go to a backup.
Volch

Post by Volch »

Which methods of recovery from John_ha you write? Is there something more concrete that could help me?
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

See John's post in this thread.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Your file is full of zeros like this File full of zeros.odt example file.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. You should be able to recover all or most of the file.

If you cannot follow the instructions ask someone with better computer skills to help you or take your PC to a PC repair shop. STOP USING THE PC and DO NOT POWER IT OFF until you have recovered the file to maximise your chance of success.
Attachments
File full of zeros.odt
File full of zeros.odt. When opened in Writer it shows pages of ######
(71.33 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
File full of zeros.odt as seen when opened in a binary editor (HxD in this case)
File full of zeros.odt as seen when opened in a binary editor (HxD in this case)
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.