White flash after video

Discuss the presentation application
alloydog452

White flash after video

Post by alloydog452 »

I have seen similar to his back to 2010 but never found a real answer.
We need to project a slide with a very short video of fireworks unto the backdrop at a local theatre. The Projector is high up on a light bar
2/ ALL slides have a black background so they do not show up on the backdrop
3/ We start the show with a black background slide and manually pull up a lens cover in front of the projector = works fine
4/ Spacebar brings up the next slide which has a 10 second video/sound clip = works fine
5/ Spacebar to the next black slide though causes a WHITE rectangle to flash up = Not good!

Presently the only recourse is to lower our manual shutter before the transition.
We have tried increasing the options total memory and memory per slide etc.

This is a shame because we like OpenOffice and use it for everything else - and we do contribute.
Any thoughts appreciated.
We have another gripe but put it in a separate thread
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: White flash after video

Post by John_Ha »

Please upload an example file which causes the problem so someone can have a look at it - use mediafire or google drive etc if over 128kB.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
alloydog452

Post by alloydog452 »

I've never uploaded to the forum before. Do I attach it to a reply like this?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Click the Upload attachment tab below where you type and follow your nose.. Be sure to click Add File. The max file size is 128 KB - use mediafire.com, google drive, Dropbox etc if over 128kB.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
alloydog452

Post by alloydog452 »

I have attached the file/ However there are two very short AVI files that it uses. Will you need these. I tried to attach one but it was too big.
Attachments
Cat Slide Show.odp
(12.04 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I had intended to replace your .avi files with two of my own but found (which I had forgotten) that OO 4.1.3 on Xubuntu won't play either .avi or .mpg files, reporting that the format is unsupported. I remember that I overcome this for my presentations by using a hyperlink to the file, which invokes the system video player - a little clunky, but any videos I show are lengthy, so the clunkiness can be overlooked.

However, this does not help me in solving your problem. I noted that the screen area on which your .avi is shown is white; I suspect that the white flash you report is the blank screen showing just before OO senses that the video is over.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I see white circle > purple moon > black > purple moon > black > purple moon > exit with no flash.

I cannot see any videos in the file so I added two avi files. Impress hanged when I played the file.

I created a new, empty Impress file and Import > From file ..., and imported the original presentation. I deleted the vidoes and added two more avi files. Impress hanged after playing the first.

I created a new, empty Impress file and added two avi files. Impress hanged after playing the first.

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'm currently working on getting videos playing in Impress on linux (Xubuntu), without having to invoke the system media player; this involves careful installation of some extra software, the components of which I'll note for reference. When/if I get that working, I'll revert to this thread and the white flash.

@John_Ha: did it hang, or was it waiting for a click to advance to the next slide?
alloydog452

White flash after video - Goodbye!

Post by alloydog452 »

Thanks for those who got involved here. We held the show together using a makeshift shutter (to hide the flash) and to reset the slide show after the crashes I reported in another thread (in which others had lockups but no real answers). Luckily this show had enough time between the videos to allow restart/repair. To add to this we had a lot of trouble finding what types of videos Impress would use and the fact that even some 'compatible' AVI files wouldn't work have added to our concerns.

Bottom line is that though OOImpress is a very good program to use at home and I would not hesitate to use it for a lecture or in a classroom it is not robust enough for serious work - like in front of paying audiences. So our theatre will be buying (ouch) PowerPoint for the next show.
Thanks again. My "White Flashes" and "Lockups" threads are over and I'm leaving the forum.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I've spent the day fiddling with OO 4.1.3 running on Xubuntu 16.04. When multimedia (my tests were on videos,but the conclusions are probably valid for sound also) are embedded, OO wishes to use Gstreamer 0.10 to identify and handle the media. Xubuntu uses Gstreamer 1.0 for multimedia handling and it is integrated with its sound and video applications; OO doesn't know how to interface with 1.0. Gstreamer site says that Gstreamer 0.10 and 1.0 can co-exist; I didn't find this to be the case, at least as faras OO was concerned. I removed 1.0, did an install of 0,10, but that wasn't satisfactory - OO still complained about missing plugins at multimedia identification time - I think one important plugin has been deprecated and removed.

I've spent long enough fiddling at this - I have a workaround, namely putting a hyperlink to the video files and letting the system media player handle them. As Gstreamer 0.10 is not maintained and as 1,.0 has replaced it, I've suggested to the developers that it is time to upgrade OO's use of Gdtreamer for some future release. In the meantime, for non Windows presentations, you should not waste tine trying to embed media on slides in an Impress presentation on current releases of OO.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Rory

Impress hanged big-time - no key would do anything. I had been using SPACE to step through the slides but it no longer worked and nor did any other key, even Escape. I had to kill AOO from the Task Bar.

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Embedding Video into OOo Impress for Windows where rezo says
Rezo wrote:
There have been a lot of questions as to why the OpenOffice Impress Software cannot use Videos. The reason is that the embedded video does not actually run through Impress - you must add software to your computer in order for it to work.

Do the following:

1. Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer.
2. Download CCCP Codec Pack
3. Make sure 32 bit Java (Click "FREE JAVA DOWNLOAD") is installed on your PC. You may already have 64 bit Java installed. but AOO uses 32 bit Java so you must also have 32 bit Java.
4. Install DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer.
5. Install CCCP Codec Pack

Now that they are installed, insert the video. It will play.