[Solved] Interesting feature: Create a tree list in Forms

Creating and using forms
Buz

[Solved] Interesting feature: Create a tree list in Forms

Post by Buz »

Hello all.

I accidentally discovered that I can transform my forms list into a tree. I dragged FORM1 onto FORM2 and oo/loBase changed FORMS into a folder with FORM1 as subordinate. Except it wiped out FORM2. :(

After some research, I see how to create a folder into which I can save form(s). As far as I can tell, this only works using the SAVE dialog box in CREATE FORM IN DESIGN VIEW I see no way to make this happen using the WIZARD.

Here's how:

1. Click on CREATE FORM IN DESIGN VIEW and then SAVE (or use FILE.SAVE) before creating/saving your form.
2. The SAVE dialog box displays.
3. Click on the CREATE NEW DIRECTORY icon, 2nd from the right at top of the dialog.
4. Another dialog box opens, allowing you to enter FOLDER NAME.
5. Then OK. On return to the SAVE dialog box, you'll now see the new folder.
6. Then create a form, also in CREATE FORM IN DESIGN VIEW.
7. Then Save, clicking on the new FOLDER in the dialog box. Name your form,then SAVE.
8. On return to the FORMS pane, you'll see the new folder with a '+' icon indicating that it holds the new form.

This is an unexpected and mighty feature. I can now create an application with many forms and organize the forms in a manageable way. I checked documentation and the forum and did not find this feature defined, so I thought I'd share.

Enjoy!
Buz
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (13.94 KiB) Viewed 2071 times
Last edited by Buz on Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.3, HSQLDB 2.3.4 embedded, Win 10; LibreOffice 5.2.4
Arineckaig
Volunteer

Re: Interesting feature: Create a tree list in Forms pane

Post by Arineckaig »

transform my forms list into a tree
Another possible method is with the cursor in the Forms pane to select from the menu bar Insert>>Folder... and then create a folder from the dialog that opens. Once the folder has been created any existing form(s) can be dragged with the cursor to be included in the folder.
When this issue has been resolved, it would help other users of the forum if you add the word - [Solved] - to the Subject line of your 1st post (edit button top right).
AOOo 4.1.5 & LO 6 on MS Windows 10 MySQL and HSQLDB
Buz

Re: Interesting feature: Create a tree list in Forms pane

Post by Buz »

Thanks. That's a good solution. Simpler. There appear to be lots of undocumented/hidden gems in oo/loBase that I can't wait to discover!
OpenOffice 4.1.3, HSQLDB 2.3.4 embedded, Win 10; LibreOffice 5.2.4