[Issue] Side by Side View of 2 documents

Discuss the word processor
translator

[Issue] Side by Side View of 2 documents

Post by translator »

I am new to Open Office. Searched online as well as in the forums. Could not find any suggestions how to open two documents at the same time and view one page each, side by side viewing. Is this possible in Open Office?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Issue].
Open Office 4.1.2
Hagar Delest

Re: Side by Side View of 2 documents

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

See: [Issue] How to edit pages side-by-side using OOo Writer?
You should vote for the issues (19291 & 91001).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Issue] Side by Side View of 2 documents

Post by John_Ha »

Double click fred.odt.
Double click bill.odt.

You now have two separate instances of Writer running. Arrange the windows side by side.
Clipboard01.png
If this solves the problem, please click the Edit button on your original post and add [Solved] in front of your subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
translator

Post by translator »

As soon as I double-click on the second document, the first document disappears from the screen. How do you get two separate documents on your screen at the same time?
Open Office 4.1.2
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Did it minimise to the System Tray?

Resize the first screen to occupy a small proportion of the screen.

My system is a standard installation.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

translator wrote:As soon as I double-click on the second document, the first document disappears from the screen. How do you get two separate documents on your screen at the same time?
AOO doesn't manage the size and location of windows. That's handled by the window manager of your computer operating system. If you're using Windows 10, drag one open document window to one side of the screen. That window will then resize to fill half of the screen and Windows 10 will display the other open windows reduced in size. Click the other document window and it will fill the other half of the screen.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

translator wrote:As soon as I double-click on the second document, the first document disappears from the screen. How do you get two separate documents on your screen at the same time?
Likely the window of the second document just covers the window of the first document - this is what happens on my system too (as Bill says this behaviour will be part of your operating system). To test this, when the second window opens, just drag it to one side - you might then see the first window underneath the second window.

That said, if you, in the first instance, launch Writer directly from your Start Menu then you will get presented with a new blank document (never having had any text in it). Then when you double-click an .odt file to open then that .odt document you just double-clicked will replace the already displayed first (new, blank) document. (At least, that's what happens on my system.)
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
mok.monster

Post by mok.monster »

Easy AS. click in the document then hold the 'windows' logo key down and press the arrow key either right or left
Open Office version 4.1.6 using Windows 10